Chapter 33

When we got home from vacation, Nick and I both had serious jet lag. We got home late on Friday night and slept almost the entire day on Saturday, until I remembered we needed to pick the kids up.

"I'm gonna go get the kids." I sleepily mumbled to my husband as he was still half asleep. He nodded, his eyes squinting at me.

"Be safe babe." He called to me as I changed and left the room, closing the door for him. I yawned and stretched my arms, grabbing my car keys and purse. As I drove, I turned on the radio to wake myself up more. Eventually, I was fully awake, and by that time I had pulled into my in-law's driveway. I got out of the car and let myself in.

"Knock, knock." I called throughout the big house. The first person to come to me was Lexi.

"Mom!" She exclaimed with a smile, coming up and hugging me.

"Hi baby. Where are your brothers and sister?" I asked. Suddenly, my question was answered. They all came from different rooms of the house, upstairs.

"Hey guys. I missed you all so much." I hugged the kids and then they went up to get their stuff ready to come home. That's when Denise and Kevin Sr. came in the room.

"So, vacation was good?" Denise asked me.

"It was amazing. Nick truly is the greatest." I beamed at the mention of him. They looked between each other.

"Well, we did good with that boy." Kevin Sr. chuckled. He was very quiet, but I loved him like he was my own father.

"Were the kids good? Everything go smoothly?" Hopefully with them, at least. We haven't told them about Austin's incident here, and are planning to keep it that way. Denise nodded and smiled softly.

"They're just angels, I tell ya. You couldn't have done better with them." I felt my cheeks heat up at the compliment. I thought to myself, but then said it out loud.

"A lot of it was Nick too." I rolled my eyes playfully. All the kids came down, their suitcases behind them as they were rolled down the many stairs.

"Ready to go guys?" I asked, hands on my hips as I smiled at my kids. They all nodded and said goodbye to their grandparents before getting into the car. I put the bags in the very back and then slid behind the wheel. Austin took the front seat, per my request. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"You doing okay bud?" I questioned quietly. He nodded and gave me a genuine smile. Probably the first one I've seen from him in about two months. I drove to Starbucks to get Nick and I coffee, and then we made our way home. As soon as we walked in the door, Aster screamed.

"Daddy!" Then she ran off to search for him. I went over quickly and tried to quiet her, but she already went up to our bedroom. I followed, and Ace was laying down in my spot on the bed. My daughter jumped up and on top of Nick.

"Hi sweetheart." Nick groaned in slight pain from where Aster had her knee. He moved her off and beside him. I walked over and set his coffee on the bedside table, along with mine. Ace greeted me by licking my face and putting his paw on my arm.

"I missed you daddy." Aster smiled at Nick and hugged around his neck.

"I missed you too princess. Now, why don't you go and get your stuff in your room. You can ask one of the boys to help you too." He winked at our daughter and she happily jumped from the bed and ran out the door before yelling Austin's name. I pushed Ace to the side and sat next to my husband in bed as he sat up against the headboard.

"I tried to stop her, I swear." I put my hands up in fake surrender before taking a sip of coffee and smiling deviously at him.

"It's fine. I should've probably gotten up anyway. Everything went good? How was my mom?" He kissed my cheek and grabbed his own cup. I held mine in my hands as it warmed me up.

"She was great, as always. No problems with the kids, they were excited to come home."

"Awesome. Tomorrow is when I leave." Nick told me. My heart dropped at the thought and I frowned.

"How long?"

"It's only a couple of days. I've got to go to New York for a photoshoot and Jimmy wants me on the Tonight Show. Then I'll be home for another week or so working in the studio, then it's off to Paris. But you could probably come to Paris if you wanted." He smirked at me. He never failed to make me smile.

...