Chapter 8

At dinner, Kane went straight to the obvious. He asked Nick and I if we were getting a divorce, the other kids knew what he was talking about, except Aster gave him a weird look.

"Keep your voice down. And no, we're not. Your mother and I are perfectly happy with one another. Right sugar?" His gaze settled on me and I nodded in agreement, my hand on his knee under the table. After that was cleared up, they all went on their phones.

"Guess who's here." Nick whispers in my ear, glancing toward the entrance. I looked back quickly, seeing Chase talking to the host. You have got to be kidding. He was with someone who looks to be his girlfriend. They said something and then she went to the restroom. He made eye contact with me and came strolling over.

"Hey, Katy! Funny running into you here!" I stood up and hugged him, being courteous, but he held me for a moment too long.

"Yeah. How've you been Chase?" I asked him politely, Nick's hand squeezing my thigh.

"Just great. This must your husband and family you were telling me about?"

I winced when he said that, and his gaze travelled over my family. He made it sound like we talked everyday and I told him all about my life. Nick glared at me out of the corner of his eye and I swallowed hard. I looked back up at Chase.

"Yup. My kids, and my husband, Nick." I put my arms around his bicep, hugging him and smiling wide. This was getting awkward by the second.

"We should go out for drinks sometime Katy. It's been too long." As he said this, his girlfriend came to meet him.

"Yeah, definitely."

"Awesome. I'll send you a text." Chase winked before going to the other side of the room with the girl on his arm. Nick and I made eye contact, and I could tell he didn't like it as much as me.

I just said," I love you baby." And I gave Nick a kiss on the lips.

We continued dinner, and once our food came out, we were really having family time. I can't remember the last time we were able to do this, so it's definitely nice. After, Nick drove us home, and paparazzi followed us all out to the car. I tried to shield the kids as much as I could. I held Aster in my arms, Lexi walked in front of me, and Nick had the boys. Once in the car, you could still hear them yelling at us for pictures, and begging us to answer questions.

When we got home, I sent the kids all up to bed right away. I kissed them all goodnight and then joined Nick in the living room, the only light on being a couple lamps.

"You're okay with this?" I asked, putting my hand over his.

"You're mine Katy. Understand?" He didn't say this demanding, it was almost lovingly. It got me excited to know he cared enough, and I never thought I'd ever be with someone like him in a million years. I was always told that I was nothing, and I would never amount to anything.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I smiled sweetly, straddling his lap and putting my arms around his neck.

"You're so beautiful." His hand rested on the middle of my back and he brushed hair behind my ear.

"Do you have any idea how much you mean to me? I was told countlessly that I would never be good enough to have a family, or even get married. I told myself that everyday. I am so, so eternally grateful that you saved me from that."

"I am so glad that I have you. That I get to be married to you, and get to see your face every day. You are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Ever since we met for the first time, there was something about you. And I knew I wanted it." His words made tears come to my eyes. It isn't always that my husband is sentimental and heartfelt, but when he is, it's really special.

"Why're you crying sweetheart?" He asked softly, wiping my stray tears away with his thumb. I looked at him with partially blurred vision.

"I just love you so much it's unbelievable. I never thought I would make it this far, and yet, here I am. And it is so, so amazing. Sometimes I don't even think it's real." I looked up to the ceiling to try and hold the rest of the tears back, but I couldn't. I chuckled as I cried to let him know that these were happy tears.

We ended up in our bedroom about fifteen minutes later, just talking. I was clad in a nightgown and he was in a shirt and boxers. It was dim in the room, and he ran his fingers up my leg, pushing the silk nightgown up to run his finger over the scar on the back of my thigh.

"I'm still sorry you had to ever go through any of that baby." Nick said to me.

"I'm stronger because of it. That's for sure. I never want any of my kids to have to go through even a fraction of what I did."

"And they never will." He reached up and kissed me, caressing my leg.

...