Chapter 37

"Go ahead. Who's the unlucky guy anyway?" Tears flooded down my face as Helen criticized my relationship with Nick. Tearing me apart piece by piece. I thought to myself, I'm twenty one dammit, why can't I handle this yet? Why can't I stand up for myself?

"Like you care." I muttered.

"Tell me!" She slapped me across the face with all her might.

"His name is Nick, okay! He's the only person in my life who's ever actually given two shits about me!" I yelled in her face. Truthfully, I had only met him a few days ago, and had no idea if we were really going to become a really serious thing.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that! Get out! Leave! I don't ever want to see you here again, and your father feels the exact same way." An evil smile spread across her face, and I put my hand to my cheek where she hit me, getting up slowly and walking out the door with only my phone in my hand.

"You're never gonna make it with him! Don't come crawling back here when you leaves your ugly ass!" Helen screamed at me before slamming the front door. I had no idea where to go. I walked down the dirt road for a few miles before finally looking for someone to call in my contacts. I had my boyfriend, but I most certainly did not want to be that girlfriend who calls him crying. I'm sure it's happened to him before.

The memory came back to me as I read an old journal that I had kept hidden from my dad and step-mother. I just found it while I was organizing my closet, in a box. Along with other things like my graduation cap, a trophy I won when I played basketball in my junior year.

"I've got a plane to catch. I guess I'll see you in a few days then?" I was sitting on the floor and my husband was standing over me. I leaned my head back as he bent down, his lips meeting mine slowly.

"I'll miss you babe." I smiled against his kiss.

"I'll miss you too. Don't go picking up any other guys while you're gone, okay?" Nick told me once he pulled his lips from mine. I stood up and immediately put my hands on my hips and cocked my head to the side, slightly.

"And what makes you think that will happen Mr. Jonas?" My tone was scolding. His eyes scanned my body up and down, and raised his brows at me. Giving me a 'come on, seriously' look.

"Maybe I will." I stuck my nose up and acted as though I wasn't joking.

"Is that a threat?"

"Maybe, maybe not." I played along for another moment or so before I opened my eyes and saw him walking out of the closet, looking defeated. I took big steps, going over to him and wrapping my arms around his middle.

"You know I'm joking. I love you, and call me once you land please." I kissed the side of his neck quickly and his eyes moved to the side to look at me.

"Love you too sweetheart." I let him from my embrace and watched him walk out of our bedroom.

I finished packing for a night at Madison's brother's once we actually got there which would hopefully be Sunday evening.

"Mom!" Lexi yelled to me from down the hall.

"In here!" I shouted back, going through the clothes that were hung up. My daughter came walking into my room, her face glued to her cellphone.

"Can I help you?" I asked, pulling a couple of shirts off the rack and folding them into my suitcase. My gaze didn't meet her as I rolled the suitcase out of the closet, shutting the light off.

"Could you drop me off at Ariel's?" Lexi asked me, and then I looked at her.

"Why? I'm leaving tomorrow and your father won't be back for a couple of days. We've set up for your grandparents to come here and stay with you guys."

"Come on mom. Pleassssseeeeee??" She whined, and it was the same way I used to do it. She seemed to be a spitting image of me. I raised my eyebrow in amusement.

"Not now honey. When we get home, it'll be close to summer anyway and that'll be a perfect time for you to hang out with her." I kissed her cheek and went over to the bed, making my side as well as Nick's. My heart already ached for him and he's probably just getting into the air right now. I sighed, but then straightened up and put hair behind my ears.

"Okay." She walked out of the room, looking at her phone again. I rolled my eyes and my gaze traveled to the photo of Nick and I above our bed. Both of us were laughing, and our arms around each other, we were laughing. The greatest day of my life.

...