Chapter 42

"You really haven't been yourself lately baby. I don't like it." I said to him, looking at him from under my lashes. By now, I had a little less of the bottle gone and it's only been about thirty minutes. Nick glanced at me and shrugged.

"Just a little off."

"A little off? Nick, usually when these things like having family over come up, you can't seem to get away from me. You couldn't even if you tried, your hands never leave me."

"Everyone was over. It'd be rude." He stared blankly. I couldn't believe this.

"Really? That's what you think?"

"Yup." Nick clicked his tongue and took a drink of his third beer. I stared at him sternly.

"These past couple days, oh I'd say since Thursday, every time I'm in the mood, you come up with every excuse not to. That's not like you, and we both know that damn well."

"Don't flatter yourself." My mouth gaped open and I gasped as the last word came from his mouth. Then my eyes narrowed and I stood up, taking the wine in my hand.

"Don't flatter myself? Unbelievable." I started to walk away, but he roughly grabbed my arm. And he wasn't about to let go. My eyes met his and anger rose inside of me.

"I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean it like that."

"How did you mean it Nick? What, I just throw myself at you all the time?" I ripped away from him and stormed into the house, popping the cork back in the bottle and putting it in the refrigerator.

"No, you don't. It was wrong of me to say that Katy." He began to whine. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the kids all sitting on the stairs, sitting where they figured we couldn't see them. Or so they thought.

"Go up to your rooms kids." I said to them firmly, not taking no for an answer. My gaze came back to my husband.

"I just beg you to fuck me all the time, huh? Why don't I become a prostitute. Then I won't be your problem anymore and I'll be sold to some pimp." I said with my chin high.

"You're drunk Katy. Let's just go upstairs." Now that he mentioned it, I did feel a little buzzed. And I did drink half of that wine bottle by myself.

"There's something you're not telling me Nicholas, and I'm going to find out. Wether you like it or not." I slurred in his ear as he guided me up the stairs and to our bedroom. When I sat down, I saw his eyes widen.

"So, what is it? I'm all ears baby." I sneered. He didn't say anything, but just looked at me. I gasped loudly.

"You're cheating on me!" I yelled. Then I got up and walked through the hall, shouting even more.

"Kids! Your father's cheating on me!" I stumbled a bit and almost fell on the floor, but he caught me.

"How dare you." That's the last thing I heard him tell me, with hurt in his voice, before I fell asleep right in his arms.

The next morning, I woke up to hear Nick texting on his phone. When I opened my eyes, he was looking right at me.

"I messed up." I groaned, rolling over on my back and running my hands over my face.

"Yeah. There was no excuse for it, I'm sorry." Nick stated. I could tell he was still upset about it. It was all coming back to me and I could feel my cheeks heating up from embarrassment.

"Did I wreck our marriage?" I asked, feeling myself getting choked up at the thought of it. He looked ready to start laughing. Then he did.

"Of course not. That's insane." A small smile spread across his lips.

"You're not cheating on me....are you?"

"No possible way. You're stuck with me." He winked and got out of bed, going to the bathroom. I was on a mission today to talk to the boys, but first, I was so hungry I might throw up. I made my way downstairs to make breakfast for everyone, tying my robe around my body.

"Is daddy really cheating?" Aster may be young, but she isn't dumb. I mean, I yelled it throughout the entire house last night. I glanced behind me, half expecting my husband to be there, but he wasn't.

"Of course not baby girl. Mommy was just upset last night, and said some thing she shouldn't have." I cupped her face in my hands and kissed her nose.

"How about waffles for breakfast?" I asked, and her eyes lit up. I smiled to her and got out the waffle maker that Aster had gotten for her birthday. She saw it at the store one day when we were shopping and told me that she just had to have it. As I started to cook, I heard yelling upstairs. Nick yelling. And the boys weren't down here, so the three of them must be up there.

"Here honey. Mommy will make more when I get back." I turned the maker off and put the six waffles I had made on a plate in front of my daughter before hurrying upstairs.

...