Chapter 3

"Come on, you're not fat." Nick said to me.

"Nick, have you seen all the other moms in this town? They wear skinny jeans all the time and never gain weight with whatever they eat."

"That may be true, but they don't have the amazing curves you do that I love so much." He put his hands on my hips, smirking.

"But-"

"Don't give me any of that. We are going on that red carpet tonight, and you will look absolutely stunning. Like you always do." God, he was such a sweetheart. I raised my eyebrow, looking down at the old t-shirt and sweatpants that I was wearing, and my hair hasn't been brushed all day. I just threw it up in a mess on top of my head this morning.

"You're amazing." I said to my husband, leaning my head into his chest and kissing the skin exposed my his shirt.

"I know."

"You're so full of yourself!" I fake gasped, smacking his chest and walking out of the room. I swiped my car keys from the counter and made my way out the door.

"Where're you going young lady?" Nick asked me, popping his head out of the other room around the corner.

"To pick up our children. Could you call Becky and see if she can watch them tonight?" I shot him a charming smile so I'd get my way. He knew not to argue with me then, no matter how many times he told me our oldest son was able to take care of his siblings while we're out.

"I guess. I love you."

"I love you baby." I blew a kiss and went out to the car.

"How was your day at school guys?" I asked after picking the kids up from school and they were all piled into the car.

"Good." They said in unison.

"I got an A on my spelling test mama!" Aster exclaimed to me excitedly.

"That's so great honey!" I looked at my youngest child in the rearview mirror, the rest of them glued to their phones. I rolled my eyes, stopping at a red light. My phone rang through the Bluetooth in the SUV, and I saw that Nick was calling.

"Hey honey." Nick's voice came through the speakers.

"Hi baby. What's up?"

"I called Becky. She'll be here in about ten minutes. We have to get to the awards in a half hour. Vera will come to the house to get us our outfits, do your makeup, the usual."

The way he talked about it made me happy. My husband has told me over and over that he loved when I got dressed up and dolled myself up. It made me happy, because during my childhood and even in high school, I never got to dress up. I lived in the country with my father and my step-mother from the time when I was ten to when I was twenty years old.

Then I met Nick after I left the countryside to pursue a modeling career, and here I am. When we were first together, I never thought someone like him could love someone like me. I never felt like I was good enough. I didn't have boyfriends in school, and my step-mom liked to bring me down a lot. But Nick changed all that.

"Awesome. We'll be home soon."

"See you soon hot stuff." Nick said, all the kids groaned in unison. We both laughed and hung up our call.

Once home, I saw Becky's car in the driveway, along with Vera's. The kids all got out and made their way to the door, Austin pushing it wide open. I was the last to go in, Nick talking with Vera at the kitchen table.

"Hey sweetie." He pulled me onto his lap by the waist.

"Hi Katy. How's it going?" Vera asked me, smiling her pearly white smile.

"Going great. Really excited for tonight." I smiled eagerly, glancing at my husband quickly.

"That's great. Now, I've got your dress all set out in your room. If you need help, just call." I nodded and walked up the stairs, going into my room and shutting the door. I shimmied into my red dress and checked out how it fit in the mirror, feeling good about this.

I went downstairs, Austin and Kane sliding up the stairs past me. Lexi was walking past the staircase, her face glued to her phone.

"Could you go fold your laundry please? It's in the white basket in the living room." I asked my daughter.

"Why?"

"Because I'm your mother and I said so, that's why." I said before going into the kitchen, to present myself to my husband and stylist. Nick stood up from his chair right away, looking me up and down.

"You look amazing. I cannot wait to stand next to you on the carpet." He said to me, kissing me sweetly. My arms went around his neck and I leaned in. I put my forehead against his, smiling and looking him in the eyes.

"You are the most amazing husband a woman could ask for."

...