16

"Yes, I mean no. I mean, I don't understand about this binding thing. Master mentioned it as well and I don't understand what it means to the two that are bound." Lena says sounding lost and child like in this new world she finds herself in.

"Oh, well, when a witch of some strength feels that they are up to it they ask a demon of similar strength, or weaker, to become bound to them. It is a lifetime sentence and a far stronger binding then marriage vows. Whichever partner is strongest becomes the master and the other the slave part of the equation.

"Lance and I are fairly equal as are Verruca and Lance's brother Jim. When Jeremy was bound to Rosa, we thought they were fairly close to equal strength. It was the only reason it was allowed actually. But in reality, Rosa had hidden her true strength, she is twice as powerful as we thought she was and is far stronger than Jeremy. He no longer trusts her as he feels betrayed by her not telling the truth, but once the bond is made you can't unmake it. At least in theory, I think I know of  a way, but it's dangerous and Jeremy has yet to decide to take it."

"But what does it mean to the partners?"

"Well, when Lance here was bound the first time it was a joke, he was so far stronger than the witch that he more or less ran wild and caused havoc and mayhem among the witches." Leann explains to the confused girl.

Lance smirks, "To the betterment of the witching community although they wouldn't see that. Those bastards that were born have made the lines stronger. Each of those bastards are strong witches in their own right." He had followed the letter of the law and had helped the witches even as he took out his revenge against them.

"Hush, Lance, you caused a great deal of pain to many families," Leann says before turning her attention back to the human girl.

"Each binding is different depending on the participants. Some are like your slavery and others like mine and Lance's are of equality. Either way there is no escaping until one or the other dies. Demons have incredibly long lives and witches, unless they are affected by outside influences can live hundreds of years."

It's all too much and Lena is shaking her head in disbelief. "That can't be right. Lance looks at most what twenty-five or so and Master here maybe twenty."

"Oh she's a sweet one. Leann could we keep her if Jeremy says we can?" Lance asks smiling at the human before her.

"No, Lance. I won't allow her in the same house as you. Lena, Lance here is over three thousand years old. He witnessed the advent of witches, werewolves and vampires into this world. That is why he is so very, very powerful, even if he is just an incubus."

Now feeling very faint Lena has two questions left, "What do you mean just an incubus?"

"The sex demons, which include Incubi and succubi, are the weakest of the demons. However, the older a demon gets, like vampires, the stronger they get. Lance is the oldest known demon still living."

"Oh, okay. And my master, how old are you?" Lena doesn't think he's going to answer he waits so long.

"Three hundred years or close enough to it. But I'm weak even for my age," Jeremy presses his lips together in rage. Perhaps if his parents had told him the truth he'd be stronger.

"Peace Jeremy. This will work out for your good, it'll be painful, but it will be for your benefit." Lance soothes.

Jeremy gets up with impatience and goes to Rosa's door. He gives it a cursory knock and then enters without waiting for  reply he's not sure he'll receive.

The others watch sadly as he enters. At least two do, Lena watches in confusion.

"He would be free if she were to die right?" Lena asks trying to make sense of all the information she's just received.

"Yes, he would." Leann watches the human once more.

"Then why did he do so much to save her?" Lena asks in confusion.

The way that she phrases that catches Leann's attention.

"Explain Lena."

"He had to have done something or she would have died. She should have died, I heard the doctor's talking about it. She was too far gone, yet she lived."

Leann and Lance share a look before Lance shakes his head, "He doesn't have much in the way of healing, none of us demons do."

"Bullshit, you healed me when I was nearly dead and you healed Verruca when she was brain damaged and nearly dead."

"And it took a great deal of effort and I only did it because you were so close to death, both of you. Demon healing is almost unheard of." Lance says and shuts up as Zee joins them.

"I don't know about healing, but Master can take away pain." Zee says as he sits next to Lena.

He casually puts his hand on her thigh and lays his head on her shoulder and relaxes. 

"He can heal without knowing it?" Lance asks shocked, you can't take away pain without healing it.

"I don't know about that sir, but he took away my pain. So that much I know master can do. About the rest I don't know."

"Lena, you know about my world now?" Zee asks softly, her playing with his hair has relaxed him a great deal.

"Yes," Lena says but her voice tells everyone that she wishes that she didn't.

"Don't worry love, you'll get used to it. Where is master?" He asks absently rubbing his hand up and down her thigh. He smiles as he smells her response.

"He went to see Rosa, through that door there," Lena says a bit breathless.

"Then I better not bother him. Lena, do you not have work to do?" Zee asks innocently enough but Lena knows what he's doing.

"Yes, thank you everyone for the information. Zee is right I should get back to work. Janey still needs her break."

"Janey's working tonight?" Zee brightens noticeably and doesn't wither under the dark glare Lena gives him.

Laughing he says, "Give it up Lena, she's not the bitch you are." Then he smiles at her and winks. Lena leaves the waiting room in a huff returning to her duties and sending Janey off on her break.