Chapter 30

Retaliated: Chapter 30

~The Next Morning~
~Vanessa P.O.V.~

I couldn't sleep at all last night. No matter how many times I tried to lay down against a tree and close my eyes, all I saw was Dad's head being blowing off in a constant loop. If anything it terrified me when I'd close my eyes so I gave up on the thought of trying to get some sleep.

Isabella never called back and my phone's battery quickly died. Now that I have a calmer mind set- I'm still freaking out and in shock but I had a better grip on myself- I wish I had called 911 or at least used maps to find a near by place. Here I am wandering around some back street but on the bright side, I feel like I've made the right turns to get back into town.

Constantly looking back over my shoulder, I never saw that man behind me but I heard a lot of voices, whether they were real or a piece of my imagination, I never truly felt alone. It was comforting to a degree till I remembered these were voices I didn't recognize.

Coming up over a small hill, I just wanted to be home. I was wishing for all this to be one big nightmare and I'd find myself waking up in my room. Cracking the door open and  then running down the stairs to find Mom cooking at the stove but Dad right there to help fix her meal because Mom was never the best cook out of the two of them. Dad wasn't much better but when they cooked together, they put their ideas together to come up with some kind of meal. Wanted Isabella and I to be close as we used to, where we couldn't wait till morning broke because that meant more time to play but sadly... I'm in reality. A reality where our home went from be secure and close to broken and estranged. I just don't understand what I did to deserve all this? I know everyone goes through their problems but to me it just seems like it's one after the other and now I had to re-open a wound that had finally healed over. Getting over Dad's fake death took the longest and now his real one... it just happened so fast.

The cold air stung my body as it caressed my exposed skin. Breathing it in felt nice, it trickled down my throat and nearly froze over my lungs but it was helping my headache oddly enough. Rubbing my arms to warm them up through my sweatshirt when a strong gust of wind blew through again. I reached into the pouch of my sweatshirt, pulling out the phone as if it would magically charge itself enough for my to make a call but it only showed the image of it needing to be charged... great.

After a little while longer of walking, my luck was starting to turn. I could see the first road the car took to get us out of the city and I smiled to myself. The airport runway lights were within view and that lifted my spirits. I'll just get back to the motel room and figure out my next step from there. Seems like a decent enough plan for now right? I don't know, unless I stop at a shop and find an outlet to plug in my phone- no. Just go back to the motel room.

***

A long shower later, I walked out of the small bathroom and sat down on the edge of bed. I saw my phone was charged enough to no longer have that image stuck on the screen. I was hoping for a call or text from Isabella but there was still nothing from her. Why not? Why weren't you answering my calls, Isabella?

Shaking my head in disappointment, I guess I'll have to call someone else... maybe Uncle Lexis is up and awake by now? It wouldn't hurt to call and if he doesn't answer I can leave him a message... I know he'll call back unlike Isabella. I pressed the phone to my ear and patiently waited for him to answer but of course it went to voicemail after a few rings.

"H-Hi Uncle Lexis, it's your niece Vanessa. I know this is kind of random but there's been a situation and I just don't know what to do. It has to do with Dad so when you get this message please give me a call back. Thank you and I love you Uncle Lexis, bye." Hanging up the phone, I set it back down on the bed and got up, pulling the towel off from around my head and stepping over to my bag so I could get dressed. Just a pair of underwear and a t shirt is all I need since I'm not going to be leaving the room at all today.