Longshot x Reader

Y/N - Your Name
Y/B/N - Your Brother's Name

"Y/N! There's no more bread!" Your little brother shouted from the kitchen. You looked up from your writing and pulled out the coins your family had been saving. The rent in your Earth Kingdom village was slowly increasing as refugees of the war moved in. After counting the coins, you pulled out what you'd need for groceries and called to your brother.

"Come with me to the market and we'll get some." Y/B/N trotted into the room with a huge smile plastered on his face. You laughed and held onto his hand as the two of you left for the market.

"A loaf of bread please." You requested from the baker. Meanwhile, Y/B/N was eyeing a custard tart.

"What a responsible daughter you are. Today, I'll throw in the tart for free." The baker replied, handing you the bread and the tart.

"Thank you so much ma'am!" You smiled at her, giving the treat to your brother. He devoured it whole and the baker laughed. You waved as you two exited the bakery to go home. However, you weren't looking where you were going. BAM! You slammed into something metal, face-first. "Ouch." You rubbed your forehead and heard your brother whimpering.

"Y-Y/N...." You looked up to see a tall, strong Fire Nation soldier looming over you. His face was masked completely and his fists were clenched. You heard a woman scream a ways away and it's like the soldier came to life. He drew his fist back and punched you in the stomach. You grunted and doubled over in pain. "Y/N!" Your brother turned to face the soldier, a determined look on his face. Oh Spirits...he wanted to fight the soldier.

"Y/B/N!" I shouted. "Don't fight! Go find Father!" He stood his ground and the soldier moved to advance. "Now is not the time for heroics, please! I'll be fine!" That was a lie since you couldn't really move. He clenched his fists and looked back at you. You put on a brave face and he took off. You sighed in relief.

"I'll find Father and we'll come back for you, Y/N!" He shouted. By now, everyone else had cleared out. They were either hiding in the bakery (and other shops) or fleeing. Fire Nation soldiers ran wild like hog monkeys, tearing down building and taking as many people captive as possible. The soldier who hit you stood directly over you. Suddenly, he grabbed you by your wrist and lifted you off the ground. You whimpered at he slammed you against a wall. He drew his hand back and you shut your eyes, bracing for impact.

"Aaugh!" He screamed. You heard a squishing sound and fell to the ground. A loud bang above you told you that the soldier had punched through the wall. You looked up and saw him pulling out an arrow from his shoulder. What the-? A tall figure appeared at your side and scooped you up. You screamed and tried to kick your way out of the figure's grip. You were rushed behind the bakery and gently set down. You looked up, expecting another soldier. Instead, you gaped at the archer standing in front of you. He looked your age and had a pointed cone hat. He smiled and crouched down so you were both level with each other. He didn't say anything as he reached for your wrists.

"Hey! What are you doing?" You drew yourself in, refusing to let him touch you. He didn't look like Fire Nation, but you still didn't know him. He nodded to your bruised wrist. Did he want to help you? You considered your situation carefully. "Okay...but only if you tell me your name." The boy looked away and his hat shadowed his face. More screams came from the villagers and your mind wandered to Y/B/N. You hoped he made it to Father.

"The Freedom Fighters call me Longshot." He confessed quietly. You smiled and extended your hand.

"Y/N," You introduced yourself shyly. He gave you a small smile and carefully wrapped your hand in a bandage. How did he get clean bandages? Longshot nodded to you when he was finished and helped you stand. "Thank you."

"Hey Longshot, there you are." A voice called behind you. Leaning against a wall was another boy around your age wielding curved dual swords. He glanced at you. "I'm Jet. That's Longshot. We're all Freedom Fighters. We're refugee kids from Earth Kingdom towns that were either taken over or destroyed by the Fire Nation. We pretty much just mess with the soldiers anytime we can." You looked up at Longshot (since he was easily a few inches taller than you) and smiled. It quickly faded when you were reminded of Y/B/N and your family.

"Thank you so much, but I have to get home...if it's still there." You apologized. As you turned to walk away, Longshot grabbed your good hand.

"I'll walk you." He insisted. Jet gaped at him and shook his head. You were too focused on how perfectly your hand fit with Longshot's to think too deeply about it. Your fingers intertwined and together you started home.

~~~

Hey everyone! So I'm trying to broaden the cast of characters I've been using and am considering LoK characters. Also, let me know what you think about this Longshot story. Comment any characters and ideas that you would want to see happen! Thank you so much for reading!

Stay Flamin'!