Halloween Special: Katara x Reader

^The mask she wears is the same one she wears in this one-shot

Requested by: @Azureman136

~~~

Y/N - Your Name
M/L - Mirror Length
Y/T/D - Your Troup Director's Name

The Fire Festival rolled around before you were ready for it, and you had to make a costume within a couple of days. The four days you took to hand-make your costume seemed to fly by as well. You had your mask and costume ready for the Fire Festival Performance in which you were playing the dragon. You didn't have any lines, and you were required to breathe fire, so the part was perfect for you!

The day of the festival, you put on your costume, hoping it would fit. The ornate mask slipped easily over your face and rested comfortably. The tail stayed in place too around your hips. You slipped on your wrist gauntlets and adjusted the chestplate, shoulder pads, and collar. You took one last look in your M/L mirror. The armor you made shined over your black shirt and pants. Each of the red scales stayed perfectly and rustled as you moved similar to a snake's hiss. The gauntlets covered your forearms from your hands to your elbows. The chestplate connected to the shoulder pads and collar, much like the armor worn by the Fire Nation soldiers and was easy to move in. You looked exactly like a dragon, and you were pretty proud of yourself.

You made your way through the crowd admiring the stands and costumes on display as you walked towards the stage. Suddenly, someone bumped into you from behind.

"Oh, I'm sorry." The girl appologized as she was pulled through the crowd.

"It's okay!" You shouted after her. You raced to the stage to get ready.

"Come on, Y/N! You're in the first scene, so we've had to wait for you. Where have you been?" Y/T/D asked impatiently. You knew he wasn't actually expecting an answer, but gave him one anyways.

"I was fine-tuning the costume." You replied haughtily, extending your arms to show off your hard work.

"Ugh, actors! They're all crazy!" He exclaimed, storming away.

"And yet, here you are, working with us!" You teased before entering on your que. The music played as you danced your way onto the stage, and you noticed the girl from earlier in the crowd. Somehow, she and her friends had reached the front of the audience. She wore an ornate princess mask and dressed in blue.

"This dragon, like its bretheren, was a collector of fine items." The narrator continued. Oh, this was when you chose an audience member to "capture". You looked dramatically at the girl and slowly moved over to her, making sure you followed the script. "The Great Dragon enticed the fairest of maidens to stay forever in its garden paradise." You held out your hand to her and led her onstage, where she sat on a decorated throne.

"Unhand that fair maiden, you beast!" Lee, who played the prince, shouted. You moved around the stage, imitating a snake and pretending to protect the princess. You opened your mouth, having practiced the firebending move over and over again, and the flames shot out like dragon's fire. The audience gasped and cheered. The battle for the princess ensued and soon, in line with the script, Lee had made a fire rope that wrapped around your neck like a leash. You thanked yourself for fireproofing the armor you had made and for including a collar in the design. You pretended to writhe on the floor and lose the battle when you were suddenly splashed by water.

"Wha- hey!" You shouted, breaking character. You ripped off your now ruined mask to glare at whoever interrupted the scene. You saw the girl standing over you protectively, bending the water from a satchel around her waist.

"Come on!" She shouted, grabbing your hand. Having no choice, you ran after her. Soon, she had you cornered. "Okay, good. We got out of there."

"Yeah, um... I don't know about you, but I didn't need to run away."

"Oh! Right... I'm so used to it at this point. Anyways, you looked like you were in pain." She replied, taking off her mask. She was absolutely beautiful. She had long, dark hair, deep blue eyes, and a unique but pretty hairstyle incorporating hair-loopies.

"Y-yeah! I mean... I'm an actor. It was meant to look like I was in pain, but see-?" You sent a small flame towards your chestplate. "-fireproof. Unfortunately, not waterproof..."

"Oh! Well, I'm sorry about that. My name is Katara."

"Y/N." You replied quickly. You still couldn't take your eyes off of her. "So, um... you're a waterbender? Are you from one of the Water Tribes?"

"I'm a Southern Waterbender, but I've traveled all over the world. I taught the Avatar to waterbend... mostly." She smiled at you and you couldn't help but smile back.

"That's amazing!" You replied. Katara looked back and put on her mask.

"I'm sorry for causing you any trouble. I was in a somewhat similar situation before the end of the war in which Aang had to step in, so it brought back some old memories." Katara explained as she headed back towards the crowd. "Anyways, the play was really good before I ruined it. Once again, I'm sorry. I hope to see you again sometime, Y/N" With that, she was gone. You eventually stumbled back to the stage where your understudy had reprised your role and was just making the situation worse.

"Look at this!" Y/T/D shouted. "Look at what you did!"

"I think it was worth it."

~~~
Hey readers! Halloween is coming up pretty soon, so this is one of two specials that I'm writing specifically with the holiday in mind. Comment here what/who y'all are dressing up as! I still have to order/get my costume... whoops. Well, let me know what you think. Remember to vote and comment!

Stay flamin'!