Chapter 22

Same day, 5pm

Leonard knocked on his sister's apartment door.

"Come in!" He heard his sister shout threw the door.

He sighed and entered.

"I'll be right out!" She said from down the hall.

Leonard took a seat on his sister's couch.

"I'm ready," His sister sang as she came into view wearing a tight black dress showing just a bit too much cleavage.

Leonard's eyes went wide before he covered his hand over his face. "I'm guessing I'm not the one you were expecting."

"Duh," Lisa said irritated. "Why are you covering your eyes? I'm not naked."

"Lisa I have something important to tell you,"

"Cisco is suppose to be here soon an-"

"Lisa I need you to listen to me," He finally met her eyes.

"Okay," Lisa said slowly. "Is everything alright?"

"Sit down," He nodded to the seat next to him.

She furrowed her brows, but complied.

"It's uh," He grasped his sisters hand. "Grandpa's gone."

"What?" Lisa said in disbelief. "No, I-I just saw him last week he was fine."

"He had a stroke this morning," Leonard said looking into his sisters tearful eyes.

"But Len," Lisa said as the tears streamed down her pale toned cheeks. "He-he can't be gone,"

"I'm so sorry, Lis." Leonard said putting his arms around her.

Lisa sobbed into her brother's shoulder.

He ran soothing circles on her back. "I'm sorry," He mumbled.

They continued to sit like that until Lisa's sobs turned into silent crying.

"I'm taking a plane out tonight," Leonard pulled back. "I want you to stay here."

"No, I'm going with you," Lisa said wiping away her tears.

"No, I need you here." Leonard said. "Just in case dad shows up over there."

"I'm going," Lisa insisted.

"Mick is here, he can protect you here while I'm over there."

"I don't need protection, Lenny."

"I will not let him hurt you again," Leonard raised his voice a little. "You mean too much to me, Lisa."

Lisa nodded and put her head down.

Leonard moved a strand of hair out of her face. "Now go on your date, go have fun."

"Okay," Lisa said softly.

"I gotta go," He kissed the top of Lisa's head and headed towards the door.

"I love you, Lenny." Lisa said walking her brother to the door.

"I love you too," He gave her one last hug. "Now put on a jacket."

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Whatever,"

Leonard gave her small smile and left the apartment complex.

🐤🐤🐤🐤🐤🐤

"Mom," Sara said as she stepped into the dinning room. "Can you help me with this?"

Dinah took a quick glance at Sara's worksheet. "Nope,"

"Mom!" Sara exclaimed.

"I don't do math," Dinah said returning back to typing on her laptop. "I'm an English professor."

Sara gave an exasperated sigh and headed back to her room where she continued to struggle with her work.

Sara's phone began ringing and she smiled looking at the contact name.

"Hey, you." Sara smiled.

"Hey," She heard him drawl.

"You just saved me from doing some math,"

"You know, now that you mentioned it. I do have some laundry to do.."  He joked.

"Haha," Sara put her feet on her desk.

"Sara, I'm going to have to go out of town for a couple of days,"

"Why? What's wrong?" Sara sat up.

"I just need to take care of something is all,"

"Len, what's wrong?" Sara said seriously. "And tell me everything not just what you want to tell me."

Leonard sighed. "My grandfather passed and I need to go to Coast City to claim his body and decide whether I want to bury him or creamate him."

"Oh, Len I'm so sorry," Sara said looking down at her hands. "Is there anything I can do? Do you want me to go with you? Or-"

"It's fine," Len cut her off. "I need to do this alone."

"Okay, just keep me updated?" Sara asked. "Please?"

"Of course,"

"Be careful okay?"

"Okay,"

The line was quiet for a few mintues.

"I'm here if you need me,"

"Thank you, Sara." He tried to say flat, but Sara could hear all the emotions he was hiding behind it. "I'll text you when I land."

"Goodbye, Len."

"Bye," He said softly.

Sara hung up and decided that that was enough homework for the night.

Sorry it's short. 😣