Chapter Ten: "Do Not Think It Ends Here"

Finally, Zelda found Link talking with Prince Ralis. "Hello, Zelda", Link greeted her warmly as she approached the two. "Hi", The Zora Prince waved at the Hylian Queen. Zelda sighed and sigh of relief, "How are you guys doing?"

"We're doing fine", Link replied, looking closer at Zelda. "Are you okay? You look a little unsettled."

"I've been better", Zelda replied.

Ralis looked at Zelda and then Link, "Uhhh. I'm gonna go leave you guys alone, if that's okay. I'll go check out the appetizers table."

"Alright", Link smiled. "Hey, come back and tell me if they have anything good over there."

"Got you covered", Ralis said as he walked towards the opposite side of the room.

Link looked into Zelda's dark-blue eyes, "What's bothering you?"

"Let's go some where more private", Zelda said looking around her. As Zelda requested, they walked out to a balcony outside of the ballroom. The cold night air cooled Zelda's cheeks. The end of winter was almost here, and it wasn't hard to tell spring was just around the corner.

Link crossed his arms, "Are you okay?"

"I'm not sure", Zelda explained. "I just got done talking with Lord Daltos. He seemed more off than usual, it's the same feeling I got before the Twilight Invasion. To be honest, I'm getting a little nervous."

"I'm sure it's okay. And if anything does happen you have me, right", Link smiled warmly.

Zelda laughed, "I'm guess I do, don't I?"

"Just remember I'm always here for you", Link took Zelda's hand in his. "Let's go back inside, it's cold."
____________________________________________________________________

Lord Daltos stepped into the cold, black night. He walked to the Castle's stables and grabbed his horse. Daltos shuffled through the saddle bags and pulled out a long black cloak, which he draped over his shoulders. He climbed into his horse, promptly pulled on his hood and tore out of Castle Town.

Daltos got to his destination at Soul's Midnight, promptly 3:00 AM. He jumped off his horse and waded into the lukewarm waters of the Light Spirit Eldin's Spring in Karkariko Village. Lord Daltos pulled out a small leather pouch out of his pocket and emptied the contents into the spring.

A dark powder poured into the spring and slithered through the water, clouding the clean water. In a matter of seconds the whole spring was pitch black with the strange substance.

"Good work, Daltos", a voice chuckled.

Daltos' mouth curled into a smile, "My pleasure, Lord Ganondorf."

"Quickly, before the sun rises", Ganondorf continued, "Get to the remaining Springs and corrupt them. After you do that we shall start construction on the Dark Mirror."

"I doubt I could get to the other Springs in just one night", Daltos fretted.

Ganondorf laughed, "I will help you that..."

Lord Daltos didn't have anytime to ask questions. His world went dark and then materialized into a lush forest surrounding a crystal clear spring.
____________________________________________________________________

Zelda sleepily opened her eyes. She had no clue what was happening, but she knew it wasn't right. The Queen of Hyrule stood alone in her throne room. The once lighted room was now Dark and dreary. A flash of lightning cut through the darkness, lighting the room for only a few seconds.

She turned toward the throne to see a man sitting upon it. Zelda's first reaction was: Why is someone sitting in my chair?!! But that's when she realized it wasn't just someone...it was her worst enemy. The enemy who was supposed to be dead. The man who was the self-proclaimed King of Light and Shadow.

"What", Zelda stammered, "What are you doing alive?!"

Ganondorf laughed and got up from Zelda's throne, "My little Princess, clearly you know I'm not at my full power, but I was able to create an essence? I thought you held the Triforce of Wisdom, I'll be happy to take that off your hands."

"Over my dead body", Zelda retorted.

Ganondorf clenched his right hand and examined it, "I think we both find that quite agreeable."

"Why am I here", Zelda changed the subject.

"You'll find out when you wake up", Ganondorf chuckled. "I'm afraid I have to keep you alive...for now."

***

Zelda woke up with a cold sweat. Ganondorf's final word echoed in her head: "Do not think this ends here...the history of Light and Shadow will be written in blood!"

She never thought much about his last words, but now they scared her like no other fear she had ever felt before.