Chapter Eighteen: Old Enemies and Old Friends

Link, Zelda, and Rusl ran outside into the dark night toward were the sound originated. They found themselves in the grove where Link's old house stood. A full moon shone that night, bathing everything in an eerie white light. All was silent. Too silent. Link looked towards the dark forest, "What was that?!"

"I'm not sure", Zelda whispered as if she didn't want to alert the thing that was the source of the crash only moments ago.

Rusl looked around nervously, "I have a feeling like we're being watched..."

"Maybe because you are", A voice chuckled from behind them. The voice belonged to Zant, the Usurper King who was the cause of the Twilight Invasion. He was trailed by a man with shoulder length white hair and a long red cloak. The man looked familiar to Link and Zelda, but they couldn't remember his name, only that he was the enemy.

"Isn't it wonderful to have such a great reunion", The man in the red cloak laughed. "I haven't seen you two for years. Thousands of years in fact."

Zelda's eyes narrowed, "Do I know you?"

"I would think you'd remember the guy that fed your soul to the whole embodiment of evil? I am Ghirahim the Fabulous", Ghirahim boomed.

Link's face flushed red with anger, "Hey! I remember this guy. In another lifetime he tried to push me off a cliff!"

"It wasn't really a cliff, it was more of a platform", Ghirahim corrected Link.

Link turned on Zant and unsheathed his blade, "And you! What are you doing back from the dead?! What's up with everyone coming back from the dead?!!"

Zant ignored Link and looked at Link's blade, "I see you have put the Master Sword back in it's place. What a shame...you may of had a chance of living and saving your friends if you still had it in your possession."

"Rusl, warn the village and get to safety. Now", Zelda commanded, Rusl obeyed and ran back to the village. Surprisingly, Zant and Ghirahim let him go.

Zant laughed, "I'm terribly sorry, Your Highness. But, I'm afraid to break the horrible news you. You're people won't be safe from the clutches of Darkness for long."

"A threat to my people is a threat to me", Zelda growled.

"I know", Zant mused. "That's how easily I defeated you. You're too soft. That won't keep you alive for long, especially when we need a tear from you."

"What do you mean you need a tear", Link scowled and stepped protectively in front of Zelda.

"I'm sure you've heard the saying: eyes are the window to the soul", Ghirahim started to explain. "Tears contain part of yourself. An essence of your soul. I recall the Mirror of Twilight was shattered by the tear of the Twilight Princess. To create a rift between both the Light and Dark Realm we need the tear of a goddess. But a reincarnation can make do."

"If that's what you need, why don't you take my soul. You've done it before", Zelda inquired, her eyes still narrowed in anger.

"Lord Ganondorf needs you alive and well", Zant awnsered.

Link clenched his teeth, "Why?"

"Now, now", Ghirahim chuckled. "If we tell you everything you'll have no splendid surprises! "

"I don't want any surprises", Link frowned.