Chapter Eleven: Return of Darkness

Link tore across Hyrule Field on Epona. That morning after Zelda's coronation Link got news from a hawk from his good friend, Rusl. The hawk carried a message that looked as if it was written in a hurry:

Link, you need to come back to Ordon. Now. Something is happening with Faron's and Ordona's Spring. It's nothing but bad. Darkness has creeped back into Faron Woods again, we need your help.
                                  ~Rusl

Zelda was informed of the situation and was worried sick, Link didn't blame her. If Link had become King and on his first day something went terribly wrong, he'd freak out too.

The Hero of Twilight left the castle at dawn and finally arrived at Ordon Village at sundown. He stopped by the village to quickly say hi to his old friends and the children of Ordon, who all wanted him to show them his new sword techniques. Link apologized to them saying that he needed to do important things, pertaining to the two Spirit Springs around the little village.

Link knelt down by the shore of Ordona's Spring. The crystal clear waters were now tinted pitch black, resulting in murky waters and a aura of darkness. Link knew the spring was dying. He had to do something, anything, and quick.

The Hero of Twilight stood and turned to leave the spring, but stopped as he felt a presence behind him. Ordona herself stood in her corrupted spring, "Hero, chosen by the gods, I have been meaning to tell you something..."

Link forced a laugh, "The way it looks right now is that you have a lot of explaining to do."

Ordona's light wavered as she spoke, "I do indeed. The power that has corrupted my springs has also corrupted the other three springs surrounding Hyrule. I believe that this substance has roots in the Gerudo Desert."

Link's eyes widened. A little more than a year ago he fought the King of Evil, who originated from that very desert. Zelda's behavior the other night might of been a sign that Ganondorf was trying to regain his power to conquer Hyrule once again. "I'll keep that in mind", Link told the Light Spirit, "Thank you."

Ordona disappeared in a shower of light and Link started his one day journey back to Hyrule Castle.
____________________________________________________________________

Link was beyond the point of exhaustion, to put it lightly. He spent one day riding to Ordon Village and quickly left after he had gotten a "lead". But, he knew he had to get back to Zelda quickly. To tell her what Ordona had told him about the substance that ruined the Spirit Springs.

In the afternoon, Link finally made it back to Hyrule Castle. He made his way up to the throne room. There he found Zelda by here throne, pacing and mumbling. When Zelda saw Link approaching her throne she smiled a smile of relief.

"Link", she laughed, "You're back!"

Link managed a weak smile, "It appears that I am..."

Zelda called off her gaurds so she could talk with Link alone, and discuss the problems with the Spirit Springs.

"So", Zelda started, "How did it go?"

"Well, there's this substance that has some how gotten into the Springs. From what Ordona told, me it sounds like they were sabotaged. She said that the stuff comes from is the Gerudo Desert", Link explained.

Zelda looked at Link, "I think I've found out a way to cure the Spirit Springs."

"What is it", Link inquired.

Zelda hesitated, but finally spoke, "Can you remember when we were fighting Ganondorf and I summoned the Light Spirits?"

"Yeah", Link smiled, "It was the first time I got to hold your hand, how could I forget?"

"Aw, thanks", Zelda teased. "Anyways, I think if we visit each spring, I can summon the Light Spirits and heal the springs."

"Okay, when should we get going", Link asked eagerly.

"You need to get some rest. I think the best time to leave is tommorow night", Zelda explained.

"Sounds good", Link agreed.