Chapter Sixteen: Blooming Friendship

Link stood at the shore of Faron's Spring as he watched Zelda wade up to her shins in the water. The last time Link watched her cure a Spirit Spring Zelda passed out, this time he was hoping she would not have another effect like that.

This time, without hesitation Zelda summoned the Light Spirits. Soon the four Light Spirits hovered around Zelda in a brilliant flash of light. Immediately the dark waters turned back into a clear current that resonated light.

As fast as it started, it had ended. The Light Spirits were gone and Zelda stood alone in the spring. She stumbled but caught herself. Zelda turned back to Link and offered a weak smile. Link waded in to the waters and took Zelda's hand, "I think it's time you sit down, Zelda."

"I agree", Zelda laughed as Link lead her out of the spring.
____________________________________________________________________

Zelda sat by the shore of the river that ran through Ordon Village, with Ilia, Link's childhood friend, at her side to keep her company. Link agreed to help heard goats that afternoon for his old employer, Fado, at Ordon Ranch. Ilia happily agreed to keep Zelda company during that time.

"So, you enjoy the company of horses", Zelda tried to spark a conversation with the other girl.

Ilia's eyes eagerly looked up at Zelda, "I love them! Ever since I was a little girl I want to own one. So of course I got jealous when Link befriended Epona, he just found her out of no where!"

"Seems like they were meant to be master and steed", Zelda giggled.

"Yes", Ilia laughed along with Zelda. "I guess they were, and I knew that. But, that didn't mean I wouldn't steal a few moments with such a magnificent creature. I made sure she was well groomed and in good health."

Zelda smiled, "No wonder Epona looks flawless. You do pretty well with animals."

"Thank you", Ilia stuttered. "That coming from you must mean it's true, since you wield the Triforce of Wisdom."

"Please", Zelda replied. "Don't judge my word on that. Think of me as a friend. Any friend of Link's is a friend of mine."

"So we're friends now", Ilia asked.

Zelda smiled and shrugged, "Well you're giving me company and talking to me as Link is away this afternoon. I would think that I consider you a friend after this."

"Well then", Ilia smiled, "I'm glad to be your friend, Zelda. If it's okay if I call you "Zelda"? I'm not that great with titles and all that stuff."

Zelda laughed, "It's fine if you call me by my name, Link does so."

"That's because he loves you", Ilia giggled.

The Queen of Hyrule looked at the younger girl, "He told me that a while back. I told him I loved him too, because I really do..."

"I can remember", Ilia started. "As a twelve year old, I had a huge crush on Link. But it was nothing but a crush, I assure you. He was the only one my age in the village. But I grew out of that stage, thankfully! I think of Link as a close friend, almost a brother."

There was a long silence after that. Both of the girls admired the sparkling river reflecting the light of the sun. "Have you given any thought of what you want to do when you get older", Zelda asked Ilia.

Ilia picked plucked a blade of grass and twirled it between her fingers, "I haven't given it much thought yet..."

"Hmmm", Zelda hummed. "I see. I guess I just wanted know what a person who's life is not controlled by their birth right would want to do when they get older."

"Hey, you could of just stayed a princess and wait to marry to become a queen. But, instead you achieved your dreams of becoming a queen by yourself", Ilia encouraged Zelda.

Zelda laughed, "Your words inspire me, Ilia. Have you ever thought of being a poet, I'm sure you would be great at that."

Ilia put a finger to her mouth and smiled, "I do have a soft spot for poetry..."

"I could pay for you to go to one of Hyrule's finest schools", Zelda offered.

Ilia jumped to her feet, "Really?! That...that's amazing! I have always dreamed to go to an advanced school, but my father and I couldn't afford it. The people of the Village told me I'd do great in a school at the capital!"

"I have faith that you'd do amazing", Zelda smiled and got to her feet. "In the mean time I'll write a letter to the headmaster of the academy for your schooling there, I'm willing to pay."

Ilia eyes welled up with tears, "I can't thank you enough, Zelda! Thank you so much, thanks for everything."

"No problem", Zelda beamed.

"Hey, do you want to go brush Epona with me", Ilia asked. "I think she's really fond of you."

Zelda smiled, "Of course, I'd love too!"

With that, the two friends walked to Faron's Spring together (since Ordona's Spring still needed to be cleansed).