Chapter 21

Maddie's POV

We walked back to our haven, and a thought struck me as to why Raylise would have left.

"Ray? Why exactly did you leave your campsite?" I asked.

"I don't know, they told me to go find you," she shrugged.

"I would've thought you would stay by that John guy," Nick mumbled, he wrapped an arm around my shoulders as the snow came tumbling down from the sky.

"His name's James, not John," she snapped, "and what would be more important? Finding the two of you or missing out on fun with James?"

"Thanks, Ray," I smiled. Realizing we reached the campsite, we went our separate ways. Except for Nick, he stayed with me. It seems that we've grown really close because of this adventure so far. Maybe because we're on the same boat (not literally, but you know what I mean). Juliette isn't around me much since she's always with Nate, Kaylee & Derek still don't trust us, and I don't know about Raylise.

"They still don't trust us, do they?" I spoke aloud. Me and Nick huddled on a log, while sunshine drenched us.

"I don't think they do. But they should, we're all in this together. Plus, why should they trust that James guy and not us?" he had a point.

"They should still trust you, you only came to spy on Preston for them," I answered.

"Well... yeah, but that's not the only thing."

"Then what is?"

"Well... I'm kinda attached to you, you know. We've only got each other since we don't know if we could trust others, or if they trust us."

"Your point is?"

"I don't wanna leave you."

"Yeah... I guess I don't either. We sat in silence for a minute. I shut my eyes and tilted my face up to the sun, breathing in its warmth. I felt Nick put his arm around my shoulders. This time I didn't shake him off. For some reason I liked having the weight of someone else's care on me. It felt.... comforting.

Kaylee's POV

I woke up early in the morning. I felt kinda sorry for Maddie and Nick and etc. So while they were sleeping in the now snowing weather with sunshine and brown leaves, which is confusing, I set up another tent for them to sleep in. Once I had finished I stood there and watched them sleep. I know its kinda stalkerish but still. They lay sprawled around in the snow. I scanned them. Juliette's hair was standing up in different directions bits of snow buried in her usually straight hair.

Nate was lying next to her but his hand was resting on her forehead. I grinned. Aww adorable. I grabbed Raylise's camera and snapped a picture opf them. Then I realised that Maddie and Nick were missing. Worried, I walked back inside my tent and found Raylise waking up. Perfect.

"Hey Ray, can you go find Maddie and Nick please?" I asked sweetly hoping she will take up my request.

"What will I get in return?" She asked automatically. Damn.

"Err... a hug?" I said opening my arms.

"Awwww isn't that sweet? No deal." She said flatly at the end of her sentence. Dang it.

"Fine, then be like that. I guess I'll just have to go find them myself. I should take your camera so I can film whatever they're doing over there in private. It could be used against them when I need it...." I trailed off leaving the bait there. 3.....2.....1....

"OK!! I'll go!!" Said Raylise springing to her feet.

"Mmmhmmmhmh where are you going?" asked James who was just starting to wake up.