Chapter 24 : If He Knew

"What do you mean I can do it alone?" Evan asked Gabby, totally annoyed by her.

"I have a salon appointment. Don't you get it? I cannot join you today," Gabby hollered.

"But I have been doing our project alone since the day we were paired with each other," Evan pouted.

"C'mon Gabby, you are being mean now," Jenny said. I started walking faster, least interested in the conversation.

"See," Evan grinned, pulling Jenny in a side hug, "She cares for me so much."

Gabby stomped her feet and walked near Chase, "Chasy mazy, do you think that I am being mean to Evan?"

"No, your friend is just being way too sympathetic with him," Chase glared at Jenny, who was trying to pull Evan away from her.

"Sympathetic?" Gabby frowned, "You know when I was seven, I thought sympathetic is the synonym of pathetic. I swear English is not my subject. Actually, the only thing I like is Dance. Though, I dance like a turtle but you guys are getting me right? And turtles are so cute that I don-"

"Shut up, Gabby," I turned around and yelled at her, "Can you stop that blabbering? I am having a head ache here?"

There was a silence for a while. Gabby was frozen at her spot. Evan was staring at me with fear. And, Chase and Jenny were giving me a disappointed look.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, guilty by my actions, and started walking towards my car.

I was still very much shattered by what Lorraine told me. It has been two days now but the news still pinches me like a dagger. I was numb, to be frank. There are moments when I just look at Tiffany's picture in my phone, and when the possibility of Lorraine taking her away hits me, I start panicking.

It was hard to deal with the news alone. I could not concentrate the entire day in school today, and was lucky enough to not get a detention.

"Don't worry, Sam," Jenny squeezed my shoulder, "We won't let Tiffany go anywhere."

"I can ask my dad to look up at the case. He is a great lawyer," Chase smiled, opening the door of the car for me to enter.

Gabby rushed towards Chase and pinched him hard.

"OW! ARE YOU CRAZY?" he yelled, rubbing his hands.

"You realize this is the first time you said something sweet to Sam?" Gabby asked, flabbergasted. Evan chuckled at her childish act.

"He has his moments of being his real self," Jenny smiled at Chase, who was blushing by the compliments.

I smiled, "Don't feel embarrassed, Chase. It feels good to have a civilised conversation with you."

Before he could reply, Evan groaned at us, "Stop acting so chickish-flickish all of you!"

"WE ARE NOT," all of us protested together.

"Yes you all are," he rolled his eyes, "Now before this debonair changes his mind, hop in my car if you wanna join my ice-cream treat."

Jenny and Gabby squealed and hopped inside his car. Chase followed behind unwillingly.

"I don't feel like coming. You guys can enjoy it alone," I smiled.

"Of course you won't come. After all, Trystan ain't here," Jenny winked, and everyone started laughing. I pulled out my tongue at her.

"See ya later guys," I bid my goodbye to them, and started driving.

What Jenny said was partially true. I have actually been missing Trystan. He had to go somewhere today. So yesterday, he decided to land at my house in the middle of the night to give back my homework and tell me that he will be back soon.