Chapter 39 : Embarrassments

"This is pepper spray and this is a napkin dipped in chloroform," dad handed me the items, "If the boy tries anything on you, just use any of these."

"Where do you even get these ideas from?" I grimaced, taking the things and keeping them in my bag.

Today, I was going to meet Trystan's mother. He said the asylum was at the outskirts of the town. After sniffing, glaring, and knowing the entire history of Trystan, dad finally gave me the permission to go with him. Oh, did I mention dad also decided to tag along with us?

Why am I related to this old man?

We heard a honk of a car. I peeped outside to see a black car parked near my house. Trystan rolled down the window and stared at my house, pressing the hooter again. I smiled.

"He is here," I said to dad, staring at Trystan with awe. He was wearing sunglasses and they made him look worth drooling over.

"Let's go!" Dad chirped, picked up the packed sandwiches he had made, and rushed outside the house.

"Don't forget to invite me in your eighteenth birthday, dad," I glared and walked behind him. I locked the house because mom had already left for her bakery.

I walked past dad and halted near the passenger side of the car.

"Hey," I greeted Trystan, slowly opening the door of the car.

"I am glad you are coming with me," he looked at me with adoration, removing his sunglasses. I blushed.

Our little moment was broken when dad came out of nowhere, pushed me away, and entered the passenger seat.

"Dad?" I frowned, "I think I should sit there and you should be at the backseat?"

"Excuse me? You really think I will let you sit at an arm distance of a guy?" Dad chuckled, "My daughter is hilarious."

Happily, he made himself comfortable in the passenger seat, leaving me standing outside.

"C'mon let's go buddy. I don't want us to be late," Dad grinned, patting Trystan's back. I looked at him with my mouth ajar.

"I forgot he is coming too," Trystan mumbled. I gave him an apologetic look and occupied the back seat. Trystan started the car and all of us prepared ourselves to leave.

The ride was long - really long. I kept glancing at Trystan and he too stared at me via the rear mirror. Dad was another story. Throughout the ride, he kept singing The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground and also forced Trystan to sing along with him. However, somehow we were able to convince him to sit at the backseat, in the middle of our ride.

Finally when we reached our destination, I felt relief filling my body.

"We are there?" Dad asked, from the backseat.

Trystan rolled his eyes and signalled me to get out of the car. I looked at him sucpisiously but, anyway, followed his instruction and stepped out of the car with the ice-cream cups Trystan had bought for his mother. Once I was out, Trystan smiled sheepishly at dad. Then, in a speed faster than that of Usain Bolt, he jumped out of the car and locked it - along with dad.

"What are you doing?" Dad and I asked at the same time. Although, dad's voice was filled with anger while I was suppressing my laugh.

"Sorry Mr. Harris," Trystan rubbed the back of his neck, "But I need some alone time with your daughter."

Saying that, he held my wrist and pulled me with him, leaving my protesting dad locked in the car.

"Just wait till you come back," was the last thing I heard from dad before we entered the uneasy environment of the mental asylum.