Chapter 43 : That First Word

I felt myself dozing off in a world other than ours as Mrs. Bummer explained the quantitative relationship in equations.

Slowly and steadily my head started falling forward. And then, my forehead came in contact with the desk, resulting in waking me up.

"I am pregnant!" I woke up abruptly and shouted in front of the whole class.

Jenny, who was sitting beside me, looked at me with wide eyes. There was a pin drop silence in the class as everyone was shocked by the sudden confession.

Mrs. Bummer dropped the chalk in her hand on the floor and looked at me with surprise.

"Uh, I-I was just kidding," I said, hoping she will buy my excuse, "You know, to add some humor in your class."

"Miss Harris, don't force me to give you a zero in your marksheet," Mrs. Bummer mocked me, "You know, to add some humor in your life."

I immediately shook my head like a lunatic and settled down on my seat, not before apologizing of course.

"I can't believe I slept in the middle of the lecture," I whined.

"It's not your fault," Jenny wiggled her brows, "Biology says it's the early school timing that leads to a student sleeping in the lecture."

"That makes me feel so good," I replied sarcastically. Deciding not to create another scene, I concentrated on the lecture. The bell that rang after ten minutes came as a relief in my life. I grabbed Jenny's wrist and dragged both of us out of the class.

"Ew, duckling! Stay away," Chase scoffed as I bumped into his chest, while entering the school parking.

I let go Jenny and frowned at him, "What? I thought we were on good terms after the trip."

"You're hilarious," Evan joined the conversation, walking in with Gabby snoring in his arms. I did not miss the tincture of sarcasm in his voice.

Before I could reply him, Jenny pushed me aside and lazily snuggled into Chase.

"I feel sleepy," she mumbled.

"Want to cuddle at my home?" he asked, pulling her closer.

"Ew! Stop acting so love-struck," I gave them all an annoyed look, "Where is Trystan?"

Chase opened his mouth to reply me but somebody beat him to it.

"He was with the principal."

I glared at the owner of the voice. Britney just rolled her eyes and walked towards me.

"Is that a bulky pimple on your forehead, Britney?" Jenny fake gasped, just to annoy Britney. Gabby and I tried to suppress our laughter.

"I am a teenager. I do get those, ya know? We all do," Britney snorted and pointed a finger towards me.

"I wanna talk to you," she said, still glaring at Jenny.

"Then talk," Evan rolled his eyes, "In front of us."

I saw her forehead crease in discomfort. The vulnerability on her face made me frown. And, for once, I decided to actually have a conversation with her.

"Guys, I'll come with Trystan. You all can leave," I smiled at my friends, "Besides, even I have something to talk about with Britney."

"But..." I squeezed Jenny's shoulder to stop her from speaking.

"Don't worry," I assured her. Chase gave me a head nod and pulled Jenny with him. Waving one last goodbye at me, my friends left the school premise.

"So?" I asked Britney as soon as everyone was gone.