TWELVE: BROKEN

Media: Need You Now – Lady Antebellum

Coe's POV

I stirred.

Something didn't feel right. I shook my head. I tried to get the numbing haze out of my head. I regretted my movements when a sharp pain snapped on the inside of my head. What is happening to me? What happened to me?

I tried to move my body. Shit. I let out a silent scream at the pain that tore through my entire body. What in the world was happening to me? I shook where I laid. I didn't know where I laid. It wasn't a bed, I know that much. It was too hard, too rough.

It took me a few more moments to gather myself and I was suddenly very aware and awake. My senses prickled painfully and I felt as though each and every body part, every limb, was being ripped apart, or had already been ripped apart. My head was pounding so painfully that I wanted to vomit. I tried to reach to my head to hold it, but my arms wouldn't move they were so sore.

Where was I?

I pushed myself to open my eyes, and I gritted my teeth when I felt as though my eyeballs were scratching against my skull as I did. Excruciating pain exploded in my head and I cried out.

Flashes of what happened were starting to snap into my mind and I curled into myself in shock at what I remembered.

Amos. My brother came for me. He found me after I had got off work today. He wasn't alone. He had cornered me into his car with two of his other friends. They took me.

I shook violently on the ground, my eyes darting around to try to figure out where I was. Some alleyway. It looked nasty, and I cannot remember the route that we took to get here. In fact, I can barely remember much at all.

I did remember though, that I managed to text Jared the moment I saw my brother in the distance, coming towards me. I told him that my brother had found me after work and that he was not alone, and I was worried what he wanted from me. I remember successfully pressing the send button before my phone was snatch from my hands. I remembered staring down at my smart watch, thankful that despite not having my phone, Jared could still track me down with my watch. I remembered feeling relieved even though my brother was snarling threats at me and his friend's fingers were digging into my shoulder as they forced me into their vehicle.

What happened after that?

I pushed myself to a sitting position, groaning at the pain that stabbed at me from all directions. I don't remember what they did to me. When did I black out? Why can't I remember?

I stared down at my body to try to survey the damage, but I could barely see. My vision was blurry. I could barely open my eyes and I could take a guess why. I suppose they beat me up enough to make my eyes swollen, from the way my face hurt. I sighed, shaking when the pain radiate through my body again. There was quite a lot of blood. They were probably all mine. I stared down at my hands, noting that I didn't get more than two scratches on my knuckles. I didn't fight back.

I scoffed. I was so pathetic. I didn't fight back.

I patted down myself to see if I can locate my phone, but it was nowhere in sight. How was I going to get anyone's help here? This place looked so deserted, I doubt anyone would pass by long enough to notice me.

I closed my eyes and tried to recall more. Recall something. But my mind was blank. I couldn't remember anything past the drive in the car.

I remember getting pushed around, smacked around and promised hell for daring to exist, to breathe, to be what I was. The last thing I remembered was getting slammed into the window of the car so harshly that my skin burst open from the contact. I remember because Amos' friend cursed loudly and punched me over and over again for bleeding all over the car.