TWENTY-ONE: AVOIDANCE

Media: One Call Away – Charlie Puth

Coe's POV

I had been lying awake on the couch for the past couple of hours, wondering why I didn't think to chuck any hygiene products into my backpack before I decided to run away from Jared with my tail between my legs. The sound of the clock ticking in the wide and open living room was loud and I found myself tapping my fingers in time with it.

I turned to stare at Heath's bedroom door that was left ajar as he promised. I wondered how disgusting it was for me not to wash up this morning since I didn't have a toothbrush with me, or a shaver. I rubbed at the stubble that had grown since I last shaved. I wasn't about to go upstairs to Jared's to get my stuff, and neither was I willing to disturb Heath and wake him up.

I guess I'm just going to be disgustingly sloppy today, until I can do something about it. I resigned to my fate, for now.

The clock ticked ever so slowly, but steadily as I did absolutely nothing, feeling drained but unable to fall asleep successfully. When the sky outside the full-length windows started to brighten up ever so slightly, I decided that it was probably time that I get myself off the couch and do something, without waking Heath of course.

I padded towards his kitchen just behind the couch, running my hand through my hair when I realised that there was practically nothing much to the kitchen at all. As carefully as I could, I went through some of the drawers, only managing to find more glasses meant for alcohol consumption, a couple of coffee mugs, utensils enough for perhaps four persons, one knife, one pair of scissors, a pot and a pan that looked completely unused, and surprisingly, a box of unopened tea bags.

I smiled thankfully as I fished the box out of the drawer, checking for the expiry. I frowned when I realised that it had expired two years ago. I was tempted to throw it out immediately, but this wasn't my home and it wasn't my tea. I'm not sure if there was a reason for Heath to keep an expired box of tea, so I decidedly returned the box of tea in the drawer, resigning myself to just have a glass of plain water.

I noted that there was a coffee maker that had some coffee still stuck in it. I checked the time on the clock again, noting that it would about time that Heath had to wake up anyway, so I proceeded to clean out the coffee maker of what was left of it, intending to make Heath a cup of fresh coffee at least, for letting me stay here on such short notice

As I put the coffee maker to work, I winced when it started off with a loud whir, my heart racing. I stared at Heath's bedroom door, hoping I did not wake him. There was no noise from within the room, and I relaxed a little.

I walked as gently as I could towards the refrigerator, tugging on the door to peer into it. I raised a brow at the things that I saw in there. To be honest, the refrigerator still smelled new. There was nothing apart from a few blocks of cheese and a whole lot of beer sitting on the middle and bottom shelves. There was nothing else at all.

"You're up early." I started, spinning around to the voice as I slammed the refrigerator shut. Heath emerged from his room, hair sticking up and in the same sweatpants as he was in last night, and his shirt forgotten, again.

I licked my lips, muttering a weak greeting as I was taken aback. I turned around to pluck a mug from his kitchen rack, "Did I wake you?" I asked quietly, wondering how Heath lived in this place when it was so absolutely quiet here as the sound in the house bounced back into my ears so loudly since the house was relatively empty.

"No you didn't. I had to take a call." He yawned, settling down on one of the chairs at the dining table just as I poured him a mug of coffee from the coffee maker. I threw in two sugar cubes before I turned to set it down on the dining table in front of him. He seemed taken aback for a moment, before he smiled gratefully, "Thank you."