FORTY: UNDECIDED

Media: What About Us - Pink

Jared's POV

There was a sort of a chill in the air.

I can't explain it.

The weather this season isn't cold. Don't get me wrong. I am layered up in my suit, and if anything, I should be feeling slightly warm right about now.

But just watching Coe walking in absolute silence, step after step, pretending I didn't exist in this world, was making the hairs on my skin stand and my spine to crawl.

What was it about this harmless mouse of a man that could reduce me to this state?

I was a hardened underboss for crying out loud.

When had I grown to fear Coe ? How could I? When has he ever given me a reason to?

He wasn't throwing a tantrum, he wasn't threatening me, he wasn't pointing a gun in my face or holding a blade to my skin, but what was it about his entire demeanour was making me swallow my saliva to ease that uncomfortable dryness in my mouth?

Why was it so hard for me to reach out to touch him and hold him to me? Why was I worried that if I did try to hold him, I would be painfully rejected and this time, he would not be in the mood to give in and allow me to do as I please? Why was it that I wanted so badly to turn back and deal with Fion and let Heath placate Coe until it was safe for me to grovel?

What exactly was I afraid of? Fuck, why am I even thinking of grovelling?

Truth be told, the anger that I had felt when I saw the mark on Coe's face created oh-so-kindly by the bitch Fion was completely overwhelmed by my fear of never fixing this with Coe . That bitch. They were always more trouble than they were worth. After I grovel and get Coe's forgiveness, i will make sure she eats every single word or thought she ever had against Coe. I'll make her wish she never even dared to breathe the air that Coe breathed.

I wanted to laugh.

The great Jared Jackson, one of the most feared gang member in the Family was actually cowering to someone who has absolutely no power over him. I repeat, no power.

Everything has gone to shit, and I don't even know how to fix it. I would honestly pick a gun fight or a police raid right now over Coe's cold and hostile back view.

I paused slightly and turned my head towards Heath as he jogged to catch up with us, assuming he had done what I instructed of him. I didn't dare to slow my steps as I strode after Coe, who was taking each step so painfully slowly that it was making me very anxious.

As I eyed Heath's approaching figure, I rolled my eyes incredulously at the man when he slowed to a stop right behind me, his eyes obviously worried about Coe, but I could tell that he wasn't about to break the silence in the otherwise quiet and echoing carpark by trying to talk to Coe. This man had no balls when it came to Coe either.

Coe came to a halt right in front of our car, and I gulped, not sure if I wanted to be trapped in a confined space with this silent, ticking bomb.

I am legit stressed. It's not even fucking funny.

My breath caught in my throat when I saw him take two more steps towards the passenger's side of the car and reached for the handle. I had half the mind to ask him what he was doing. To ask him why he wasn't going to sit in the back seat with me, like always. Problem was, my voice didn't seem to work and all I did was stare helplessly at him tugging open the unlocked door and sliding into the car without even a backward glance at me. Fuck, my balls didn't descend right when I was a kid.