The Fires of Pompeii

Sorry there was no chapter yesterday I'm going on holiday for two weeks on Saturday and have to have chapters edited and ready so I can just upload them while away.

-----

"You know I hate surprises." Rita groaned as the Doctor took her hand not saying a word while leading her out the TARDIS with Donna following, the Doctor then pulled back a small curtain, "Ancient Rome." He laughed loudly then quietened his voice stepping out into the street. "Well, not for them, obviously. To all intents and purposes, right now, this is brand new Rome."

"Oh, my God." Donna gasped staring at them as Rita chuckled in amusement, "It's, it's so Roman. This is fantastic." She hugged the Doctor and Rita as they both laughed at the joyful expression on the human woman's face. "I'm here, in Rome." She looked around, "Donna Noble in Rome. This is just weird. I mean, everyone here's dead."

"People don't take to kindly to being told that they're dead," Rita whispered to Donna the Doctor nodding in agreement.

"Hold on a minute." Donna stopped smiling looking over the Doctor's shoulder making the two turn around in confusion. "That sign over there's in English." They looked over at a small crate to see the sign painted on was in English. "Are you having me on?" She asked. "Are we in Epcot?"

"No, no, no, no." The Doctor shook his head amused "That's the TARDIS translation circuits" The woman looked at him blankly not understanding what that meant.

"Basically it translates to the natural language helps you fit in and read it," Rita explained in better terms for her. "Works with speech as well."

"You're talking Latin right now." The Doctor informed her grinned at the look on her face.

"Seriously?"

"Mmm." The Time Lords hummed nodding.

"I just said 'seriously' in Latin?" Donna asked gleefully, Rita smiled in amusement as the Doctor grinned, "Oh, Yeah."

"What if I said something in actual Latin, like veni, vidi, vici?" Donna started to babble on. "My dad said that when he came back from football. If I said veni, vidi, vici to that lot, what would it sound like?"

"Umm." The Doctor thought then looked at Rita standing beside him.

"No idea." She shrugged. "You threw all of the TARDIS manuals out." She crossed her arms.

"They disagreed with me," He protested. "You have to think of difficult questions, don't you?" He jokingly said to Donna.

"I'm going to try it." She beamed walking over to a man selling fruits, "Afternoon, sweetheart. What can I get you, my love?"

"Er, veni, vidi, vici."

"Huh?" He frowned at her. "Sorry? Me no speak Celtic," he said thinking she couldn't understand him. "No can do, missy."

"Yeah," Donna said walking away back to the pair. "How's he mean, Celtic?"

"Welsh." The Doctor replied glancing at Rita smirking before looking back at Donna. "You sound Welsh."

"You sound like me" Rita laughed. "I wonder if that would happen in other languages?" She thought aloud as the Doctor took her hand while they walked down the street.

"Don't our clothes look a bit odd?" Donna asked frowning slightly.

"Nah." He waved her off. "Ancient Rome, anything goes. It's like Soho, but bigger."

"You've been here before then?" She raised her brows at them.

"Mmm. Ages ago." He nodded.

"Before you ask, that fire had nothing to do with us." Rita cut in. "Okay maybe it did, he started it though," she jerked her thumb over to the Doctor beside her.