8

The team finishes up breakfast and Ukai sends them to get changed and meet in the gym. I make my way to the gym and think of the training. Learning something completely new is probably off the table so enhancing what they have now seems to be our best bet.

Players start to trickle in small groups. I pick my clipboard of the bench and stand beside Ukai. I hand Ukai my clipboard that displayed the regimen. "Your part will be the latter half. After lunch," he informs me. I nod curtly and he turns to the team.

"You will be running serving, spiking, and receiving drills. You must complete three of each to move on," The team yells in solidarity. "Now go," he instructs and they disperse. I find my spot on the wooden bend along the sideline. I put some music on and begin working on my half of the training.

I'm going to have them play against each other. Six players each side, different types of teams each time. Offense versus Defense. Offense vs balanced. Defense versus balanced. balanced versus balanced. Old versus young. Tall versus short. Speed versus strength.

I use the notes I took on each of the player to make each team. There are just enough players for a full court match and say if there are more offense than defense, I can sub in. Subbing myself in will also give me a chance to see the team dynamics within.

"Watch out!" my head perks up in time to see a volleyball about to burrow into my face. I quickly throw up my forearms and the bounces off harshly. I feel myself falling due tot he sheer force of the ball. I stick my hand out and push myself back up.

"HINATA!!" my head turns towards an angry setter on the verge of ripping Hinata's hair out. "Sorry, Chi-chan!" he bows. I nod, "Sure," They return back to playing and I return to writing. I would definitely need to play on the defense, young, and short teams. 

As I form the teams, I feel someone staring at me. I don't move my head but my eyes shift up. I catch Sugawara's worried stare and look back down at my clipboard. If he wants me to tell him my feelings and that bullshit, he's out of luck.

~~~

"Gather up!" Ukai shouts and the team encircles us with a shout. "From here until dinner, Chihiro is in control, so give her your undivided attention," On cue, eyes stare me down. "We'll be doing several single set matches with different characteristics. For example, the first match will be Defense versus Offense. There will be a short versus tall, old versus young, and et cetera. It will be six on six at all times, so if there are more offense I will join the defense. This will give me a chance to see you on the court from a player's perspective. I'll call out the teams before each set. Got it?"

"Hai!" They yell in unison. "Alright," I rattle off the Offensive team. Hinata, Kageyama, Asahi, Tanaka, Ennoshita. Defensive is Daichi, Nishinoya, Tsukishima, Yamaguchi, Narita, and myself. We start the game and both teams rack up points. Eventually Defense wins due to the blocking power.

During the old versus young, I stood on the court with Hinata, Kageyama, Tsukishima, Yamaguchi, and Ennoshita. My starting position is on the back row between Nishinoya and Yamaguchi. Yamaguchi first serve sails smoothly over the net. Nothing fancy or flashy.

Daichi receives it to Sugawara who sets it to Asahi. I bend my knee, getting ready to bump a one touch. Tsukishima's elbow breaks under his spike but significantly slowed it down. I watch the ball soar above and I back up with it. "Got it," I say calmly as I clasp my hands and lock my elbows. I tilt my arm towards Kageyama and call out his name. It hit the palm in Hinata's hand but goes out of bounds. Hinata lands and bows. "I'm sorry!"

"Don't mind!" someone else replies.

~~~

"Kageyama," I call out in a stern voice as I bend my knees and leap into the air. The ball stills for a moment and I slam my palm down. The ball shoot off to the back corner with incredible spin and speed.

Nishinoya grunts at his loss, not able to move towards the ball before it slams into the ground. The whistle tweets and I score a point. "What the hell?! She destroyed the ball!" Nishinoya screams out.

"Huh?!" The boys on his side of the court crowds around the ball in Nishinoya. I look over at the bunch in curiosity. "She made a layer of the ball start peeling. This was a newer ball too," Sugawara observes.

"WHA?!" the first year team runs over there too. I slowly walk over with an eyebrow raised. I peek through the  arms of my team and see the volleyball. Flakes of the outer layer are peeled upwards, giving it a worn out look. "Guess I put a little too much spin," I mutter.

~~~

The games end and I collected loads of data during them. It's time for dinner by the time we finished. "Tomorrow is the battle of the garbage dump. No independent training after dinner, you need to save your strength," Ukai instructs the team. "Hai!" they all yell out and begin cleaning up the gym.

When they clean up, I grab my clipboard and scribble down strategies as I walk. "Chihiro?" I hear from behind. "Hm?" I answer back. "I need to talk to you," I look back and see Sugawara with worry written all over his face. "About?"

"About what happened this morning," I shrug with a blank expression. "What about it?"

"Why did you look so scared?" I shrug again. "You startled me that's it," He sighs.

"You weren't startled, you were scared," I grip the sides of my clipboard and my shoulders tense up. Why can't he just drop it? I don't get why he's so interested. "It's honestly not any of your business to be in mine," he draws back at my harsh words. "I'm just worried about you," he say quieter.

Sugawara POV

"Don't be," I begin to get irritated by her persistent denial of talking to me. "Why won't you tell me what's going on?" I raise my voice slightly. "Because I don't want you to know what's going on! Somethings are better left unheard,"

"Kageyama and Hinata heard you on the phone crying last night and they are scared that you are in some kind of danger. Said that you said you didn't want to worry if you were going to survive the night," She grits her teeth in anger.

She mutters something under her breath. "What?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it," she says, venom lacing her voice as she spins around and walks away. I let her go now, knowing I won't be able to get anything from her this way. I just don't get it.