40

Third POV

Chihiro gets into the path of Kyotani's serve, but quickly sidesteps, knowing it would hit out by a few inches. "Out!" players from different schools take it upon themselves to manage the scoreboard and call in or out. The boy who called the out, looks wearily at the girl.

The girl serves next. Her jump serve is just as good if not better than Oikawa's. The deafening smack against the ground only reassured his thoughts. She get two more service aces until Iwaizumi receives it.

Oikawa sets it, quickly pulling a feint. Chihiro slides across the court, hitting it up. "What the hell was that?" the liberos ask each other. Kageyama sets it to Tsukishima whose spike is received. Iwaizumi's spike is received by Kageyama.

This time, Chihiro sets the ball to Tsukishima who earns them a point. She lands and glares directly at the second year. "This is only the beginning, kid," her mocking smirk angered the older male even more. 'How the hell is she the same person who can barely introduce themselves?' everyone thought.

When it's Oikawa's turn to serve, she receives it too well for his comfort. Kyotani only fought more aggressively, even dangerously. His spikes purple her forearms almost immediately.  "Kyotani, calm down, we don't want hurt her," Iwaizumi warns.

"Don't worry about me Iwaizumi-san. Let him go all out. It's no good if he doesn't," her gaze was nothing like he's ever seen before. It wasn't the same look she had while studying each player with expert precision. It's more animal-like.

In Kyotani's defense, he has gotten a fair amount of points. The entire set so far, she hasn't spiked once. But at match point, Kageyama tosses her the ball. In a flurry on motion, the ball ricochets off of Iwaizumi's arms and out of bounds, earning her the set.

When she lands, the gym full of players cheers while Iwazumi holds his arms hissing in pain. "Iwa-chan are you okay?" Oikawa asks aloud. 

"I knew she was strong but this is insane!" Oikawa looks at his friend's arms and winces visibly.

Taking a small break between sets, the Date Tech manager and Jozenji manager hands out water bottles. The Jozenji manager hands one to Chihiro, almost hesitantly. Chihiro gulps down the whole water bottle and lets her head fall back. A gray-haired setter trots over to her concerned.

"Are you okay?" he asks, looking at her bruised arms. She nods. "Okay, just don't hurt yourself," she nods again before returning to the court for the second set.

~~~

The opposing team, kicks it up a notch in the second set. They take offense immediately. Chihiro tag teams with the other two first years between blocking and receiving. Everyone could see the toll all the diving and jump took on her. But she kept going. Her side takes the ball back and she spikes.

The mix of evasive angling and pure force make her spikes nearly impossible to receive let alone block out. Kyotani and her go head to head, battling each other. "Are you prepared to run back home with your tail tucked between your legs?" she taunts him. If he wasn't pissed off he was now.

Shockingly, his side took the set by one a receive Chihiro makes that sent the ball out. The third set only raised the tension. Neither player was going to give in. They reach their limits and then exceed it again and again.

The crowd starts worrying about Chihiro and Kyotani. Both look like they've been in a fist fight. The only thing they can hope for is that no one gets badly injured.

Halfway through the set, Chihiro's fingers start to bleed from how much blocking she's been doing. But she barely even notices. It took Daichi yelling it to her to notice. "Chihiro, you're hand is bleeding! Take a time out!" he pleads.