35

"If Aoba Josai is the most perfect team in the prefecture, then Shiratorizowa is the most imperfect team," Coach Ukai's statement raises quite a few eyebrows. Including my own. However the more I think about it, he's right. The two school couldn't be more different. Shirtorizowa is more like Date Tech in its solidity. 

I think on his statement the whole walk home. I pour over videos and clips of Ushijima's games well into the night. The one thing that reminds me to go to sleep is Rin banging on my door. Even then, I move slowly to get to bed.

~~~

The next day I decide it is a good idea to load up on some espresso on the way to the tournament. I chug down two on the bus ride over and one more as we exit the bus. "Should you be drinking that much coffee?" Sugawara asks hesitantly. I take another drink.

"Probably not," I answer back. "IZUMIN! KOUJI!" I almost drop the rest of my coffee when Hinata shrieks beside me. I turn over my shoulder and see two high-school age boys holding up a peace sign. Hinata notices a few gazes, "Oh! They helped me at the middle school volleyball tournament," I nod. They say that their clubs were basketball and soccer. I turn back around, quickly losing attention to the conversation. 

We enter onto the floor of the gym and are quickly overwhelmed by the amount of people and noise bouncing around the echoing room. My eyes dart back and forth through the stands. I see cheerleaders for Shiratorizowa, a cheer section for us, and just everyday spectators.

"Noya-san they have cheerleaders!" Tanaka and Nishinoya immediately notice. "I-I need to go to the bathroom," Hinata mumbles, clutching his stomach. I fall out to the back of the group where Ukai, Takeda, and Kiyoko stand. 

I accidentally make eye contact with Ushijima as Shiratorizowa enters. I hastily look away praying he won't approach me. I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn to Ukai who asks for me "to do what I do" referring to my extensive process of evaluating our current rival. I walk to the familiar wooden bench and toss my bag on the ground. I dig out my clipboard and purple pen before sitting down.

From that moment until we finish this game I am no longer Chihiro the shy first year. I am Chihiro the assistant coach of Karasuno. I already knew most of what Ushijima has to offer so I focus on the other members. Like the peculiar red head.

His eyes are wide like satellite dishes. My gut tells me that he is who they call The Guess Monster. Tendou Satori, third year, middle blocker, and a monster. I briefly hear the skeptics speak of Hinata's short stature before quieting down when seeing the freak quick. I can't help but smirk a little. 

I continue looking at the team put before me. You could feel their skill radiating off of them. Well, they aren't one of Japan's powerhouse schools for nothing. Unlike some of the teams we have played so far, most if not all of their players are the cream of the crop. Normally when you have so many strong players, you would have a higher chance of conflicting ideas. But they seem to work cohesively as one unit which makes them even more terrifying.

~~~

The team gathers in a circle right before the game starts. "They aren't a machine, they're people too. They're bound to make mistakes!" Ukai reminds. "Chihiro," he looks at me as he finishes his short spiel.

I nod and continue, "He's right. Despite what they look like, they're humans. Don't focus on just their ace. Pay attention to all the players equally, and if you see something, go with your gut. Communicate with each other and don't over exert yourself since we have five sets, got it?!" 

"OSU!" I look around at the group of athletes around me. "I believe in all of you. So go out there and win!" I finish. 

We break in time for the teams to acknowledge each other. The go to their respective side. Ushijima looks directly at me with an intense gaze as if he was declaring war on me. I meet him back with a stare just as intense, showing I mean business.

Third POV

The game starts with a serve from Daichi that sails over the net... and goes out of bounds by a lucky call from a mushroom-haired first year.  Chihiro grimaces as the opposing team gathers 4 points.  "That left spike drives me crazy," she shakes her head.

"No wonder he's one of the top aces in Japan," Takeda-sensei breathes out. Chihiro mulls around in her head for various strategies and mindsets that they could use against Shiratorizowa.

~~~

 "The only way to beat them is to defend. Nishinoya," a technical time out was called. "Yes!" he answers back. "The rotation of the ball is opposite of a right spike not to mention how hard he hits it. We can't afford any more than 3 missed receives in this set if we want to win. Adjust and overcome," 

The spirited libero hands the water bottle back to Kiyoko. "Got it!" he yells right before the whistle indicates the end of the timeout. But as soon as they reenter the court, Shiratorizowa keeps racking up points.

It gets to the point of irritation for Chihiro as she sees Tsukishima constantly missing the ball. She knows he can do so much better because she has seen it at the training camps. A vein pops up on her forehead. But when Nishinoya receives Ushijima's serve on the second attempt it disappears. She jumps up from her seat with a gasp. She sits back down when the score changes in her favor. 

She knows that they won't win this first set. But she also knows that the team is getting accustomed to their plays this set not to mention that there are five sets in this game. What Karasuno has is uncanny stamina.

Before the start of the second set, Ukai goes over what he and Chihiro mutter back and forth during their plays. "It may not be a direct attack, but it'll have an effect on them,"

On the other side of the court, chatter of 'that pesky number 10', 'the guardian deity' and the coach with 'the death stare' float around. They grumble to each other before Ushijima says something.

"We are playing the team, not the coach," But he knew she was doing on that court despite sitting on the bench.

~~~