Chapter 5

Aphrodite

As much as I loved my uncle, he wasn't perfect. He had his flaws, and he had several fallouts with his two brothers. My uncle and my father never really got along; they were heaven and hell. As a result of one man's trash equalling another man's treasure led to my uncle taking a particular liking towards me.

Being the youngest of the three siblings, my uncle was overshadowed by his overachieving brothers. He was always the last one to be picked. My uncle knew the feeling of being rejected, ridiculed and left out. That is why he took care of me, as he was aware that the horrible pain of not being worthy.

Growing up, I always viewed my uncle as a hero or an immortal of some sort. He was as respectable as the moon goddess, if not even more. He always guided me between right and wrong and had a unique approach in a teacher. Being my tutor, he enlightened me in various ways that a woman in this Kingdom would have never learned.

He made it a rule that against the elderly council's wishes that he would be able to drag me out of Hebe's class and teach me whatever he wanted to. I could never thank him enough for that, if I were stuck in Hebe's class for any longer then I believe my IQ would have taken a rapid surge.

My uncle taught me the subjects only scholars were able to conquer, and that too they did it with difficulty. However, he told me that I was a prodigy and could do it faster than any man he had seen. He taught me mathematics, the recent studies into medicine and science, as well as, sparring and fighting in wolf form.

The main lesson he taught me was that men and women, although not perceived by society, were equals. Even when women were portrayed as a submissive character in the relationship, they did have the upper hand. He showed me a different perspective that I would have never imagined, even though Queen's and Luna's were below their mates, they had the potential to create a life. That was the most powerful gift of all.

Even though my uncle was a phenomenal man, he had his flaws. Unsurprisingly, he was only a simple man who was not bound to be perfect. Ever since he had been placed in the shadows, he had distanced himself off from the world. He kept things to himself, including his celebratory moments as well as his sorrows. To the outside world, he put on a bright smile to show everyone that things were going perfectly fine, but well, it wasn't.

He had dark secrets that no one, not even I could figure out. It didn't bother me at first, but this had started to catch up to the both of us. For instance, that time he said he handled the rogue pack but he refused to tell me the name. It's either the fact that I am not competent enough or, that he must have done something against the law to settle that. It seems that he doesn't want me to know about the dangerous world outside the Castle walls, essentially, he thinks I am a weakling. As Queen, I cannot tolerate that.

Entering into his private library to look for all the letters that had come back and forth to him was probably the most dangerous thing I could do. Picking up all the letters on his desk that were written by him to other Alphas, I closely examined each one of them.

After a while, I realised that there was nothing much these letters could tell me. The letters were filled with cynical warnings to provide him with the tax returns and money, if any Alpha owed him. Knowing these letter would be of no use, I decided to switch and read the letters that were sent to him. No man was perfectly nice, there was no doubt in my mind that my uncle had a few enemies.

The problem with that was that is letters were in a sealed metal box, it had one opening where the letters could be deposited and another where you could put a key in it and open it. Rummaging long and hard through his library, I still couldn't find the key. As a novice Queen, I thought it would be best to break it open, which wasn't the best idea.