Chapter 23

Aphrodite

"Wake up, you little wench!" Those were the last words I heard before my head was doused into a deep bucket of water. My eyes opened at the sudden impact of the cold water and all I saw was darkness. Panic settled within me, which caused me to gasp and open my mouth for air. Instead, all I got was piercing cold water seeping right into my lungs.

It wasn't long before I was removed from the cold water by someone pulling me by the hair. My eyes were wide open, and it burned as the only thing in front of me was a bright white light. After coughing all the water out of my mouth, I took loud gasps of breath into me in order to revive my lungs.

"I'm glad you're awake." The man, who I had never met before, pulled up a chair and sat in front of me. Looking down, I noticed that my hands were tied at the back of my chair, and my feet were shackled to the legs of the chair, both with silver chains. These people really can't hold a woman down without silver chains, could they?

"Where am I?" My question made the man in front of me break out into hysterics, it reminded me of the insane patients at a mental asylum. His laugh kept me right at my place, I felt that if I moved, then my life would be over.

"You really think I'm going to tell you that, my Queen?" He said as his laughter slowly died down and was replaced with an evil glint in his eye.

"As your Queen," Even though I was in one of the most life-threatening positions, it didn't stop me from being my using self by mocking people, "You must answer to what I ask."

"Oh but the last time I checked," the man looked down at his non-existent watch. "You haven't been in power for about seven years."

His words caused me to roll my eyes, "Let me guess, you work for the King?"

My second question also caused him to let out a strange laugh, it seemed that every time I said anything, he would literally go mental. If I wasn't tied with silver chains, I would have slapped that victorious grin off his face.

"No, I do not work for Ares either." The way he referred him as Ares instead of King threw me off guard. It seemed that he didn't respect the King at all, and I was surprised that Ares hadn't found him and arrested him for treason.

"Then who do you work for, dammit?!" My anger had gotten the best of me, which was a very bad idea as the man stood up and swiftly placed his hands tightly on my neck. Struggling against the silver chains, I tried to break free from his grip which was unfortunately impossible.

"That doesn't concern you, my Queen." He said, his face was extremely close to mine and his sinister eyes bore into mine. "My mission is to end both of you, and that's exactly what I am about to do."

The man released my throat, leaving me in a fit of coughs and gasps. He sat back into his chair and pulled out a bag underneath him. Curiosity had gotten the best of me, as he opened the bag and dropped the contents on the floor. There were so many tools, that slowly came into my vision and I gasped.

They were devices, torture devices. I knew that my death would be slow and painful. The circumstances had left me helpless, I couldn't escape all I could do was pray to the Moon Goddess to help me find a way.

Ares? Please help me!

I didn't know what I was doing, how was I supposed to call my mate when we haven't actually mated? However, I still tried hoping that he would hear the faintest breath of my voice in his head. I hoped that he would listen to me, even though I knew he would be busy enjoying his lavish lifestyle as King back in the Palace.

But I heard no reply.

That was expected, yet, I somehow felt disheartened that I couldn't communicate with my own mate. Our communication was hindered, not only via the mind-link but also in general. I would probably never get the satisfaction in finding out why my mate did what he did. I was going to leave this place an unhappy soul.