Chapter 18

Aphrodite

One day. That is all it took me... just one day to finally acknowledge in public that Ares was my mate. If it were any other circumstance, I would have hit my head against the wall at the foolishness. However, right now, the only thing on my mind was my half-sister's hands on my mate.

"Oh, my dear Aphrodite!" Athena spoke with that hint of sarcasm that not even the best listeners could pick up. But, I had known her for much longer and I knew exactly what she was like.

"Athena," I let out a slight nod, acknowledging her for the most part, "What brings you here?"

"I heard Ares had found his mate," She said quite excited, "I wanted to find out who it was until I realised that it was you."

Her words almost made me laugh, I knew Athena was jealous of my direct royal blood but I wouldn't mind swapping places with her. She had a much more lavish lifestyle than I did, our late father had treated her well. As a result, Athena was always better at everything than I was. I should be the one jealous of her, maybe I was.

"Ares, huh?" it wasn't surprising how she never referred to me as her Queen, but to refer to my mate by his first name was not okay. "And how did you become so close?"

Don't think I didn't notice Ares cautiously sipping on his wine at the back as he watched the two women in front of him have a heated discussion.

"Oh we met five years ago. He has been a great friend and has been with me during the hard parts of my life." She said innocently, but knowing her, it was anything other than that. I looked over to Ares and raised an eyebrow but he didn't say anything. I took this as a perfect opportunity to express my grievances.

"I wish my mate was with me during my hard parts," The air was filled with mockery, all thanks to me. "But he was off with other women I suppose."

"Oh no, my Queen!" Athena suddenly realised what I was talking about, and hence, referred to me as Queen. "Your mate would never do that, he is a King and has a reputation to build."

"Our father was King too, my dear Athena," I said, "He was pretty boisterous about his infidelity, I'm seeing the consequence right in front of me."

"That is not the way to talk to your sister, Aphrodite." Ares voice boomed, causing gasps to echo through the audience. I stared at him with my face fully red, I had never been so embarrassed in my life.

However, I kept my head in place and got up from my seat. I walked down the few steps to reach to his level, I was angry and he knew it.

"I am the Queen, don't you forget that." I looked straight into his eyes, without even blinking. I could notice Ares slightly gulp at my tone, causing me to smirk.

"And like all the stereotypical things a King would do," I said recalling the conversation we had in our previous room, "I hope you enjoy your time with your mistress, as my father did with his."

With that, I sashayed out of the room, not even glancing to the left or right. These people were no longer my concern, if they couldn't give me respect then I wouldn't care about them.

"How dare he call me by my name," I whispered as I walked across the brightly lit, yet empty hallways. "Who does he think he is?"

"I am your King," I stopped dead in my tracks, I didn't even need to turn around to know who it was. There was only one man alive who could refer to himself as King. "And you should treat me with respect."

I turned around and stormed towards Ares, I walked close enough that our faces were only a few inches apart. I looked him intensely in his eyes, I was not backing down with a fight.