Chapter 22

Aphrodite

There was no doubt that I had definitely caught some attention from the folks in this pack, one of the reasons could have been that I looked like a lost deer caught in the headlights.

A very smelly deer.

The black cloak on my raven hair didn't add anything more to my 'incognito' look, I was probably the centre of attention, to say the least. Nevertheless, I tried to act like this pack didn't intimidate me and walked straight through it like I was the Queen of this place. After I get my hands on the things that I need, I will be Queen, very soon.

The plan for tonight wasn't to be intoxicated on alcoholic drinks, but here I was at the counter of a bar. It was a strange thing to not only see a woman in places like these but to see them be situated closest to the bartender. Women didn't drink, it's what kept them pure and young. Clearly, they've never had fun in their lives.

"We're closing." the bartender said as he began to wipe the top of the counters with an old cloth. Even though I sat at the front and closest to him, I wasn't here to get drunk. Not when I had a serious problem with handling my alcohol.

"I don't care, I want a drink." Although, one drink may do no harm at all. I had to blend in somehow, and sitting at the counter next to the bartender without ordering a drink may seem a bit fishy. I had already attracted enough attention, there had to be a way that I could deviate their suspicious gazes.

"You know," The bartender was a young man, probably not even a year older than I was, and that clearly resonated from his jovial and youthful tone. "I've never seen a girl like you before."

His vague words caused me to raise my eyebrows in confusion, by the looks of it, he hadn't finished his sentence yet. The bartender looked at my piercing gaze and let out a shy smile, he lowered his eyes and continued to finish what he was about to say.

"What I mean is, most of the girls that come in here are strictly chained by their mates." He said bluntly, "They usually sit in the corner by themselves. I've never seen a woman sit so openly, in front of everyone... next to the attractive bartender of course."

His comments made me laugh, enough to attract the attention of the outsiders, making them wonder where a horse arrive from. The bartender was blushing profusely, he seemed like a very blunt person, he didn't have a way with poetry like Ares did.

"I'm not like the other girls," I said as my laughter slowly began to die down. The bartender analysed me for a moment before smirking, it seemed to me that he knew I wasn't here just for the drinks.

"Sounds to me like a Queen I once knew." For a man who doesn't have a way with words, this young bartender definitely seemed to pick up the slight hints that I was placing. Or maybe, I purposely wanted him to know who I was.

"That obvious, huh?" I said as he slid me a small glass filled with vodka. In one go, I downed the drink, the burning sensation no longer had any effect on me.

"Not quite, I must say you did a really good job of hiding yourself." He said amused, "But there are things that only I can pick up, I have been working in the bar for years after all. It's natural to me to know the people's personalities."

Just him talking gave me an immense amount of satisfaction, I had never seen someone praise the Queen as much as he did. If only, I could replace the 'Elderly Council' with this young man. Once I will be Queen, I might just do that.

"You smell like fish, which to other people may seem like you are a poor woman working at our fisheries." The bartender continued, "But only some people — like me, of course — would know that we shipped a fresh batch of fish to the Palace. It would be no surprise if you jumped into our truck filled with the leftover stale fish and arrived here."