Chapter 14

Ares

Rumours were being spread about his mate's infidelity, and Ares seemed to get more agitated by the day. There were people in this Castle talking about how a mysterious guard walks into her cell every night and does the unthinkable. Ares didn't have time to deal with their petty gossip, so he put his Beta into the case of investigating the guard who sneaks into her cells every night.

Ares felt bad for not taking his mate's personal matters into his own hands, but the problems were much bigger outside of the Castle and his own pack. Rumours were swirling amongst other packs about Ares' victory. Many of them thought that the Queen was dead, some die hard people pledged to serve the Queen, and the fact that she now was locked up didn't settle very well in their stomach.

And neither did it settle well in Ares', he spent days worrying about whether his extraordinary mate was alive or not, and it slowly began to eat him alive. His wolf disagreed with every step he took, and one day, his wolf stopped talking to him. Now in a vulnerable situation, Ares felt like he lacked control of this Castle. Some treasonous people were roaming around the Castle, planning the murder of Ares, he praised Aphrodite for picking such a true class of servants.

"You!" His voice boomed in one of the prisons in the Castle, the atmosphere was horrendous in this place but not as gruesome as the one in his old Pack.

"Do you wish to live and serve your new King, or do you prefer to die for your Queen?" Ares had given this ultimatum to at least fifty of Aphrodite's servants. The result was what Ares had expected all along, they continued their dedication to their infamous Queen.

"I'm sorry, Alpha." Her words barely came out as a whisper, Ares could see she was struggling with her emotions. To werewolves, dying for the one you love was better than giving up and being a coward, cowardice was something highly frowned upon, and the torment lasted forever.

"I know," Ares sympathised with her, he knew it wasn't her fault that she was in this situation and he would make sure that she died a noblewoman. "Do you have any final words that you wish to say?"

The woman, who was supposedly Aphrodite's first lady in waiting, took a deep breath in and carefully thought her final words. Ares' was overwhelmed with a nostalgic feeling, it was like when he first killed that Rogue that the Queen had sent to infiltrate his territory six months ago.

"Moon Goddess save Aphrodite, long live Queen Aphrodite, may the Queen live forever-" There was a sharp intake of air followed by a glass breaking screech as Ares' perforated the knife covered with silver straight into her heart. To make sure that her death would be inevitable, he twisted the knife eliciting another scream. The woman scrambled to be released from the pain, she gripped onto Ares' flexed arm tightly, her nails pierced into his skin, begging to be released from his wrath.

Ares could see her eyes slowly rolling to the back of her head, her death was near, and she slowly started to accept it. Ares' gently gripped onto her now limp body and held her until he could feel her heartbeat slowly decrease.

The woman now had her face resting on one of his shoulders, as she slowly began to relax her body in his warm embrace. However, she wasn't done with her final statement, Ares' had killed her a second to quickly.

"Please take care of her Majesty," Ares' ears were alerted by her soft voice riddled with pain, "Only then, shall we accept you as King of the Werewolf Kingdom."

Ares was taken aback by her words, he had killed so many of his mate's servants, and all of their last words were the ones that were spoken during the coronation. So much so, that he thought everyone in this prison was going to use that as their last words, hence, he didn't wait before stabbing his mate's servant. The only way he could justify all these deaths if he obeyed the young lady's last command.