Chapter 8

Ares

He couldn't sleep, he couldn't eat, and according to Ares, he couldn't even breathe. There was something that was always on his mind, and it seemed to suffocate him... but it was impossible for him to find out.

He was busy trying to conquer the Kingdom but he didn't fully believe his potential, one of the reasons could be the fact that his mind was drifting back to the damsel in distress. There was something about her that caused his wolf to forcefully push to the surface and take control of Ares' body; which in the end, could be a very dangerous thing.

When Ares saw that young woman being attacked, his instincts kicked in and fought the pathetic Alpha Nerites. Ares berated himself for being distracted as his main mission was to assassinate the Queen.

Ares had watched Aphrodite from the shadows for the past few months since she had become Queen. He was there during her coronation, although, he didn't have a chance to see her face properly. Ares wished he could have one long and lasting look at her face before he could destroy her.

He knew it was the perfect time to attack when his Beta mind- linked him saying that the Queen was at his mansion. Ares smirked at Aphrodite's naivety and he was quite amused that she didn't have better monitoring over her staff in order to find out which one was the traitor. Now the main mission that clouded Ares' eyes was her demise, suddenly, he had forgotten about the beautiful young lady that his wolf wished to claim.

Aphrodite's scent was so strong, it was probably because she had run so much that she left a slight hint of sweat and blood behind. Ares' nostrils flared as he approached closer and closer to her. Or so he thought.

When he cut through the shrubs to the destination he thought she had resided in, Ares was disappointed to find out that she was in fact not even there. Ares growled in frustration as he looked around the poorly built, yet stable shack for any missing clues.

Ares walked over to where the branches had been tied up and saw a small cloth attached to it. He gently pulled on the piece of cloth which caused the entire wooden structure to disintegrate.

The thin yet strong piece of silk remained in Ares' hand as he carefully examined it. The thin material possessed a certain strength to it, it did keep the beaches upright after all.

Ares knew that it belonged to the Queen, the fabric was finely made and was as powerful as her. On top of that, it had blood stains on it and he knew it was her blood.

Carefully analysing her scent, Ares quietly marched down the forest to the unknown. He walked through the dark parts of the forest but he noticed that the soil here was soft. He was certain that someone had been walking this path every day.

A harsh substance pierced through his skin which caused Ares to jump up and hiss in pain. He leaned himself against the wall and waited for the pain to subside. Then, he slowly walked up to the object that caused him a bit of trouble. He expected it to be a thorn in the wild but to his surprise, it was an earring.

The earring bedazzled in the dark soil, which confirmed for Ares that the Queen took this route to her escape.

Not for long. With that, he picked up the earring and marched towards the direction that was played out to him. To Ares' surprise, Aphrodite had taken refuge in the worst place ever; he knew it was going to be difficult to get her out of there.

Nevertheless, he stepped in the forbidden place. He looked around and saw that no one was there in the house; as far he knew. He slowly walked towards the door that had a curtain drawn to it and before he opened it he heard a faint gasp behind him. Ares quickly turned around and saw the old woman who stood there in shock.