Chapter 12

Ares

He watched her go, just like that. She vanished from his grasp like a firefly being released into the air. Ares sat down on the wooden chair in this estranged Castle that he now called his home. The Elderly Council members looked astounded by Ares' quick decision, but Ares knew secretly they approved of it. Ares had to do everything in his might, to win the favour of the Elderly Council and eventually, the people in this Kingdom.

If he had to sacrifice being with his mate to achieve the epitome of power and respect, then he would have to go through with it.

Ares hoped, and begged, and prayed dearly to the Moon Goddess to somehow convince his stubborn, yet exhilarating mate to somehow let all of her past grudges go and accept him. That was a far-fetched plan for Ares knew that it would take a lot of convincing and maybe a movement of power back and forth between them to finally, make her his.

Ares nodded on the Elderly Council and left the room, however, he had nowhere to go. This Castle was big and made him feel small; he had never been exposed to something so magnificent in his life.

Other than my mate, of course, he softly chuckled before strutting down the hallway with a proud look sported on his face.

He tirelessly searched every single room that was there on this floor but didn't find any to his liking. The rooms were filled lavishly with the most comfortable mattresses, luxurious chandeliers and had a guard as well as room service with one snap of the finger. Ares hated it, he didn't want to come off as a lazy ruler, and with all these luxuries, he might as well have.

Ares unconsciously was pulled towards a door that was secluded from the rest of the elegant suites. He didn't even realise it until he pushed the door open to view what was on the inside. The door of this particular room was unlike the others which had gold embroidered on the door frame. This secret door was made of plain mahogany whose smell prevailed throughout the entire corridor. Ares was drawn to it, he didn't care what the consequences would be, he just had to open it.

Upon entering, Ares' eyes could not remove itself from the alluring room, this was the room that he desired to reside in. He looked around at the simplistic, yet practical design of the room which was quite different from the over the top places that he had previously seen. There was a wooden table right in front of the large window that had a fantastic view of the forest and the Packs beyond. The walls were nowhere to be seen. Instead, they were filled with bookshelves covered with books.

The aroma in this room caused Ares' to turn his attention to a door within the chamber. He carefully walked over to it, slowly pushing it open. To his amazement, he saw a magnificent bedroom, and he knew that this was the room he wanted to reside in. The bed linen hung loosely on the wooden bed, to the side there was a grand piano that shimmered under the light. The wardrobe was the biggest he had ever seen yet it was practically empty. There was a dressing table that had nothing on it.

Ares seemed startled by these two rooms, it was an eye beholder, but it looked as if it was unoccupied. He walked into the bathroom and spotted a brown book encased in leather near the sink. He picked it up and slowly felt weird sensations going up his veins, he used his other hand to examine the design on the cover of the book.

Small sparks were elicited when he moved his fingers across the engraved letter A.  An oblivious Ares simply had no clue who this book belonged to, but his lack of knowledge didn't last very long until he looked up at the window of the bathroom.

There was a huge hole in it, which caused half of the window to crack. The shards of glass were lying all around the pane. The window had been attacked by a stone being catapulted at it. Ares knew this quite well because he was the one who orchestrated this attack. Suddenly, a sense of pain ran down his body.