16. "Thank you, Sheriff"

"Hey mom?"

Natalie looked up at her daughter after putting the chicken on the table. They both made food for an entire city, just to be sure there was enough. While helping her mother out, she felt like getting choked at the awkward tension between both of them since Lydia found out that her mother had cancer. They never talked about how it'll be when she wasn't around, Lydia didn't even know where she'll live after her mother would pass away, but that wasn't something she would allow herself to think about. She just tried to act like she never knew about her mothers illness, like they were going to live together forever, like her mother will be there when she graduates, like she'll be there when she gets married, like she'll be there to meet her own grandchildren...

Deep inside, she knew that it'll never happen.

"Hmm?" Her mother hummed in response.

Lydia avoided her mothers stare and looked down at the chicken instead. She tried everything in her power to hold in her tears.

"I hm... you have a new appointment for the... hm...," she licked her lips, trying to << Remember >> What she was going to say. Suddenly she felt her eyes getting teary and that's when she knew that she should look away.

Her back was facing her mother to not show her her weakness. She had to show her that she was stable, even after her mother was gone.

Lydia felt a hand press slightly on her right shoulder, making her let go of that one tear from her left eye.

"Honey, I know it's hard right now but I just want you to know that you'll never be alone, okay?" Natalie teared up as well. She didn't care about her own life, she cared about her daughters life alot more. Lydia turned around, not even looking her mother in the eyes before hugging her tight. Natalie responded immediatly by hugging her daughter back.

"I'll always be by your side... even If im gone, I'll always be right beside you."

It made Lydia smile, knowing she'll never be alone. She now felt how it was to be more than loved.

A buzzing sound from her pocket made them both part from the hug. Lydia unlocked her phone while her mother just looked at her. A smile formed on Lydias lips when she saw his text.

Stiles: We're comin' in 10 minutes, god I can't wait 10 minutes to see you ! I miss you too much! ♡

She immediatly turned red at Stiles' text message. She didn't even notice herself smiling that wide, nor did she notice her heart beating loud and fast... She was used to it by now.

"Who's the lucky guy?" He mother raised her eyebrows with crossed arms and a smirk.

Lydia took her phone to her chest to hide the massage from her mother. She turned more red.

"No one..." She smiled as she rocked her body back and forth, not even noticing her excitement.

"Hmm... he must really take your breath away," Natalie laughed.

"Mom!" Lydia hissed slyly.

Her mother rolled her eyes with a smile on her lips before turning back to the kitchen.

My little girl is already in love, Natalie smirked.

Lydia stared at her phone for a while before texting him back.

Lydia: Relax Romeo, you saw me yesterday plus you are seeing me soon, PLUS you only live 7 blocks from me.

Stiles: are you saying that you don't miss me?

Lydia: hm.. let me consider that for a moment...