Chapter 23

3rd POV

After listening to Damon brief him on the story of what had just occurred, Alaric stared in awe at Rhiannon.

"You are a badass!" he complimented her.

Rhiannon beamed back in response, proud of her own handiwork.

"But you attacked Katherine before she grabbed Elena?" Ric asked her.

"Yeah… I tend to hold grudges," Rhi admitted unremorsefully as she straightened out her shirt.

"Did she do something to you?" asked Ric.

Rhiannon smiled at his question. No, Katherine had never done anything to her specifically. But she had caused Damon so much pain that Rhiannon was unable to pretend like nothing had ever happened.

"No," Rhiannon said, as she turned to look at Damon, "but she would've been better off if she had wronged me instead."

Alaric watched as Damon smiled down at Rhi, and realized he had never seen Damon look so content. It was almost like Rhi had calmed his soul, and taken his hurt away. Their eyes stayed locked together for a long time, like they were in their own little world.

"This is nothing compared to what I walked in on in the kitchen earlier," Stefan said to Alaric.

"I think it's good for Damon, being in love. What do you think?" Ric asked him, referring to the two lovebirds.

"Well, I pissed him off earlier, but since he's calmed down, Damon doesn't seem quite the cantankerous ass that he normally is," Stefan said. "Although if I had that…"

Damon's eyes abruptly shifted to his brother's with a threatening glare.

"Nevermind," Stefan finally said.

Before anyone could say another word, Katherine shot up from the spot on the floor where she had been lying. Rhiannon took a deliberate step in front of Damon but tried to make it seem casual.

"What the fuck just happened?" Katherine shouted, her large eyes flickering between Damon and Rhiannon. Katherine knew she did not know the red haired girl standing in front of Damon, nor did she have any idea where the vicious cat had went.

"I think the more important question is, what are you doing here?" Damon offered.

"I'll get to that after I find out who snapped my neck!"

"Oh, well that would be me," Rhiannon said as she smiled at Katherine angelically.

Katherine flashed over to her and wrapped her hand around Rhiannon's throat. "That was a very stupid move. Someone should've warned you about me," Katherine seethed.

Damon was about to defend Rhiannon but before he could intervene, Rhi had Katherine knocked back down to the floor with the wooden heel of her boot pressing into her chest. Rhiannon's green eyes were cracked over with veins and her fangs had fully descended. Ric couldn't help but stare in amazement at how someone so sweet could turn so lethal at a moment's notice. Damon felt like he would burst with pride as he saw Rhi manhandle Katherine.

"No, Katherine. That was a very stupid move. Someone should've warned you about me!" Rhiannon spat out through her bared fangs.

"Who are you?" Katherine asked.

"Do I really look like I feel like answering your questions right now?" Rhi seethed. "Why are you here?"

Katherine tried to move out from underneath the pressure of Rhiannon's foot, but when Rhiannon realized what she was doing, she dug her heel deeper into Katherine's chest, anchoring her still. Katherine winced at the discomfort as the wooden heel broke her skin.