42 - Jeepney Ride

(This is located in the Philippines)

Listening to Boyce Avenue's cover of Fast Car, I got in the jeepney and sat on the corner most seat. The reason I always seat at the edge of the vehicle is because I'm not comfortable being sandwiched between two strangers. I would rather stay at the place where only one would sit beside me without staying up front with the driver because God knows how annoying they could be at times. I extended my hand with coins on them in order to pay and a few people passed it up front. Once I paid, I leaned my head on the glass at my left.

I honestly didn't want to leave home. The only reason I am is because I had to work for a concert. As you may not know, I'm an usher. Every time there's a concert, I'm one of the ones who lead the audience to their seats. The best part of being an usher– other than getting paid– is the fact that we get to watch for free. (I WISH I WORKED AS AN USHER IN MANILA😭)

When the jeepney stopped for a bit, I saw a man in shades and a hoodie climb in and sit across from me. Normally, I wouldn't care but he's definitely not dressed for this kind of place. The Philippine climate is too hot at the moment to actually wear a black hoodie outside of an air-conditioned room, even if the weather is bipolar. I mean, THIS IS A TROPICAL COUNTRY FOR PETE'S SAKE! WE'RE PRACTICALLY NEAR THE EQUATOR! He leaned forward and looked at me.

"Do you by any chance know how much you usually pay in these things?" He asked.

"Um... It depends. Are you considered as a student or an adult?" I asked him, taking one of the earphones off.

"Uh... Student."

"Five pesos."

"Thank you."

He took out his wallet and looked for the golden coin. Once he found it, he passed it to the driver. After a while, he leaned back and I did the same, putting my earphones back on. I drummed my hand on my lap as the beat of the song The Bird And The Worm by The Used played. I looked out the window and saw that we were near when I needed to be. I moved to the edge of my seat and waited for us to reach it.

"Para lang po!" I said, stopping the driver. (That's what they say in Manila when we want the jeep to stop. In Bacolod, we say "Lugar lang")

The jeepney stopped by the sidewalk and I got out as soon as I did. The guy who was sitting in front of me has now slipped out as well and was walking beside me. I didn't mind him and walked to the venue of the concert. Once I walked in, my boss was glaring at me.

"You're late, Ms. Y/l/n." She said.

"Sorry, Ma'am. You know how bad the traffic can be." I said, placing my bag on one of the chairs as I walk to the stage where my coworkers were gathered.

They handed me an ID stating that I would be serving the VVIP section. I wore it around my neck before tying my hair half up. The stage crew fixed the entire set up on the stage, getting ready for the soundcheck which should have started ten minutes ago.

"I'm sorry I'm late." A familiar voice said as the doors opened. "I ditched my driver and took a jeepney here for the sake of experience."

I turned around to see THE Shawn Mendes standing there in a black hoodie and black sunglasses in his hands. He wiped the sweat off his forehead before looking around the room and his eyes found mine. He smirked and moved over towards me. He slung an arm around my shoulders and turned to them.