116 - 'Til Death Do Us Part (AU)

"You're everything I could ever want in this life. You are my definition of perfect. I know that we had our ups and downs but you still stood by me and I to you. I could never ask for a better partner." He said, his voice quavering as he stumbled on his words. "This is why I ask you... Will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

I watched the image of me nodding and jumping into his arms. He wrapped his arms around my waist and spun me around, pulling away to place the ring on my finger. I let out a sob as I watched him move closer to me and lean in close.

I placed my hand on my mouth as a small whimper escaped.  I was trying so hard to control the tears and my breathing. I hugged the pillow closer to my chest as I looked down at the intricate designs of the crown ring he gave me, diamonds scattered all over the gold. I shut the computer close and stood up from the bed. I walked over to the balcony and sat down on the edge of the railings as I stared up in the sky.

"My love, why did you have to go so soon?" I asked up to the sky, wiping the tears soaking my cheeks.

"Y/n, stop your mourning." My aunt scoffed, slamming the door to my room behind her. "All you've done is cry about that man for the past four months."

"Is it my fault, aunty? I love him."

"And what will loving a dead man do for you? Get up and wash your face. Put on some makeup and brush your hair while you're at it. The Hudson family will be here in less than an hour and I need you to look presentable for their son."

"Is this what mom would have wanted?" I muttered, staring at the bright, yellow moon as it casts a white light down onto the city. (SA ILALIM NG PUTIIIIIING ILAAAAW 😂)

"Sweetie, she would have wanted you to be married to someone who can provide for you, not someone whose body is rotting six feet underground with maggots feeding off of his flesh. If you marry Jackson, not only will there be someone to actually take care of you, but it will benefit our business more than the Mendes family ever could."

"That's not what you said before."

"That was because Shawn was still alive when I did now get dressed. The wedding rehearsal starts in an hour."

I sighed and waited for her to leave before walking over to my bathroom sink and watching my face. I stared at my reflection as I took a brush and ran it through my messy, tangled hair. My eyes were sad, red, and puffy. How do you expect someone who lost the love of their life to look?

I put on concealer and foundation, trying to look a little more alive than I did now. I did my eyeshadow in a brown smokey eye and painted my lips a bloody shade of red. I watched as one of the house helpers came in to assist me in changing, smiling sympathetically as she caught sight of me. I smiled sadly at her and stood up to go to my closet.

I glanced at the amount of gowns in different colors hung on the clothes rack. I knew they wanted me to go with something traditional and white so I did my small act of defiance. I grabbed the black, lace, off-shoulder ballgown I had to wear during one of the galas they held to create business relationships for their company.

"Are you sure with that, Ms. y/n? Your aunt and uncle would very much disapprove of such choice." She asked, eyeing the dress in hand.

"Yes. If they are practically forcing me to marry someone else then might as well do it in my own terms." I replied, taking my shirt off and putting on a corset.

She immediately ran to my aid and tightened it for me as I gripped the closet doors in font of me. I also took my shorts off and slipped on a pair of black pantyhose and a pair of black cycling shorts. She then helped me put on a petticoat before standing on a chair to put the dress on my. I then stepped into a pair of plain black stilettos and stood in front of a mirror.