16

~~~~ Jesiah's POV~~~~

I got home to find the place empty. No one was here, I was alone. I found a note on the kitchen from Damien saying that he had an unexpected meeting to attend and will return later.

I strolled into the living room and sat on the couch. I was lost in my thoughts, I couldn't keep thinking about what happened today. What's wrong with Caroline?

I somehow felt a sort of emptiness. It's been 2 weeks since we've talked and not one day she would message or at least call. It's obvious something's not right.

"Hey."

A familiar voice said pulling me out of my miserable head. I turned to see Kathy walking towards with a concerned look on her face since I didn't respond. She placed her keys on the coffee table and sat next to me.

"You alright?"
"Yeah. It's just..its been two weeks since I've spoken to Caroline and I'm a bit worried about her."

She studied my face. Her expression read that she was thinking about what to say.

"Well, I'm off work tomorrow. Maybe we can go see her if you want?"

This idea sort of brightened me up a little.

"Yeah. That sounds great! Thanks Kathy."

"No problem. So since it's gonna be you and me for a while, lets watch a movie and order some pizza?"

I nodded in agreement. She then stood up,

"Great. Well go shower and change while I find a movie and order the pizza."

Kathy was like another Caroline to me. She was there for me and always tried to cheer me up. I smiled at her then I headed upstairs to shower.

~~~~ Damien's POV ~~~~

I've been sitting in this office for the past 30 minutes now waiting on God knows who and I'm starting to lose my patience.

I stood up ready to leave when the door opened and a man and woman entered.

"Mr. Smith right?" the man questioned.

"Yas can I help you?" I said rudely.

"We're here to discuss your custody  of the boy."

"My what!?"
"Didn't you read the contract before you signed?"

I looked at him confused. What was he talking about? He seemed to be annoyed with my expression because he rolled his eyes.

"Your son. Jesiah, are you taking full custody of him?"

"No well um his mother is supposed to be back soon so she'll take him." I explained.

He narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head as if he was trying to put together a puzzle.

"You seem a bit confused. Whats wrong ?" I asked.

"I just don't understand. The contract said that you're the full time parent of Jesiah due to his mother's absent."

Okay so this was a bit confusing.

"Listen Mr.Smith, I know after the incident you're probably still healing but I think it's time you to move on and start being here for Jesiah. He needs you a lot right now."  The lady said. 

I froze in my seat completely lost about what they were talking about. The man sighed as they both took up,

"Whenever you're ready Mr.Smith, give us a call."

and with that they left. I sat in my office thinking about what just had transpired. What did she meant by "after the incident", what incident? I was so lost that I didn't notice Stephanie standing at my desk.

"Sir, the promotion party is almost ready. It would be held on the 2nd Saturday of next month at 6pm-1am at the Justice Hall center in the city." She explained.

"Good. Sounds exciting, organize the guest list and have it on my desk by the morning. I'm a bit worned out so I'm leaving." I said getting up from my chair.

"Okay sir. Have a great afternoon."
"Um Stephanie?"
"Yas sir?"
"Take the rest of the evening off, go home and relax."

She smiled.

"Thank you sir."

She quickly left as I packed up my things and headed home. Today started off great with Kathy and I but it always led back to Amanda. I sighed. Everytime I thought of her, I remember her smile and how she laughed, the memories would dance around my head. She was my Amanda but only for that moment and only in my head, in reality, I felt distant yet sadness.