17

~~~~ JESIAH'S POV ~~~~

I sighed deeply, I couldn't control myself. I was currently standing in front the house of the woman who took care of me when my mom died, the woman who loved me, who accepted me, who understood me.

I knocked on the door and a familiar smile brought sadness to my face,

"Hai there Jesiah!"

"Oh, hay Nancy."

Standing at the door was Nancy, the housekeeper. She noticed my sudden expression and she asked,

"What's wrong Hun?"
"Oh, it's just Caroline hasn't been picking up her phone for a while so I was a bit concerned...can I see her please?"

"She isn't here Hun. Well haven't you heard? She's expecting a baby in a few weeks time."

I froze. What did she just say? She noticed my surprised look and she quickly jotted down on a piece of paper the address to the hospital. I then walked back to the car where Kathy was parked waiting for me.

"So how did it go?"

"I've been with Caroline almost all my life, how could I not notice that she was pregnant."

"Omg. She's pregnant, that's so great! We should go drop off a congratulations gift or something." She said fixing her hair in the mirror.

I rolled my eyes.

"You can if you want. I'm fine."

She stopped and turned towards me.

"Okay. What's wrong?"

I looked at her.

"Nothing, I'm fine."
"Stop lying Jes, tell me what's wrong."

I sighed heavily. "She didn't even tell me she was pregnant."

"So what's wrong with that? Everyone keeps secrets, it isn't because they wanna hurt you but maybe because it's for the best."

She doesn't even understand.

"You don't get it do you? Caroline being pregnant is bad because she'll just forget about me and she'll wouldn't care about me anymore. Who would I stay with after this two months is over?"

All my emotions and fears were attacking me at every corner. Tears made its way down my cheeks as I quickly wiped it away.

"Jes, she wouldn't forget  about you. She'll still love you don't say that  and what do you mean who you'll stay with? Wouldn't your mum be back by then?"

I didn't reply. This conversation already had me feeling sick.  She sat there staring at me searching for an answer.

"I don't think she'll be coming anytime soon." I said softly
"Well why not? She's your mother, she can't do you that"

This was harder than I thought. Kathy looked as though she was close to blowing up and crying, her mix emotions had her anxious to hear my reply since she already had an idea of what I was gonna say.

"My mother died....when I was 9 years old."
"Jes! I'm so sor-"
"Can you not, please, I don't want your pity. I lived through half my life with people pitting me and I just hate it."

She didn't reply. She turned to face the front of the car and allowed her tears to follow uncontrollably. I sighed. The pain I felt was present in the car and I just couldn't handle it anymore.

"Aye um I'm kinda hungry, can we just go get something to eat and head home?" I finally said breaking the silence.

She started the car without saying a word to me, the entire ride was quiet besides when she asked if I wanted to go to the movies, which I said no. Kathy ordered some Chinese and she dropped me home. For the entire afternoon, I lay in bed just crying. Crying out everything. Everyone cries when they're upset but I knew that whatever happens, I'll always be that kid who lost his mother.

~~~~~ Damien's POV ~~~~~

It was late and I was exhausted. Planning for a promotion party was harder than I thought but I thank God that today was successful. I entered the house to find Jesiah sitting at the kitchen table with a glass halfway fill with Hennessy. The sight before me was disturbing, I never thought I'd see my own son in the position I was in years ago. Drinking away the pain that never left.

I felt as though this was déjà vu expect I was my father and Jes was me.

"I thought you said you don't like drinking?"
"I never said I didn't."

His eyes were sore and red, it was obvious he was crying. I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. My father would just pat me on the back and tell me drink until the pain goes but his parenting wasn't always that helpful. I felt as though Jesiah needed the parenting that I never had.

"How did you even find it?"
"There's a full case of it in that cupboard, wasn't hard to find."
"Hey I'm sorry about what happened with Caroline, it ain't good that you clingy by the way, shouldn't let little things that like affect you."

Gosh! I'm an idiot.

"Sorry. I meant that-"
"It's okay. Doesn't really matter what you say, doesn't matter what anyone says. Feels like everyone just don't seem to want to be part of my life."

I remained quiet as I sat next to him. Silence fell between us with me not saying anything to him and him just not even interested in starting a conversation. I was about to say something but he got up and left. I sat drinking out what was left in the bottle, I'm a horrible father.