Chapter 8

As I lay next to Mark and run things over in my mind. He doesn't wake up for another hour and a half. He wakes up at 11 o'clock, his arms still wrapped around me.

"Morning," he rumbles. God his morning voice is sexy.

"Top of the mornin' to ya," I whisper. This gets a giggle out of Mark.

I worm out of bed to get some coffee going. As soon as I open the door, panic hits me.

What if he's out there?

What if he goes after Mark?"

What if he's going to kill me?

I walk out, hesitant, but not wanting Mark to notice.

It takes me about five minutes to walk from my bedroom, through the hallway, past the screen room, and into the kitchen. Once I realize Dark isn't around, I feel safer. I get out the coffee and throw down some toast. Mark trudges in a few minutes later. I pour him a cup and butter the toast.

We lean on the counter, sipping our coffee, and eating our toast.

"What are we gonna do today?" I ask.

Mark pauses, then looks at me straight in the eyes.

"Jackyboy, I think we should go to the doctor."

I freeze, "W-what?"

"I mean, you've been seeing things and you can't even sleep at night-yes," he says, seeing my expression, "I saw you this morning. Sean, you were talking to yourself! No one else was in there except us. You weren't talking to me. You talked about me. Like someone was after us...what did you see?"

I can't tell him. It killed me inside, not being able to open up to him.

I shake my head, and hold back tears.

"Okay, okay, fine," Mark comforted, "You don't have to tell me, but please. Please go to the doctor."

"Why?" I blurt, "Why? I'm fine, Mark. I'm perfectly normal! Why are you-"

"Because! You have to go!" he stands up and faces me, "You cannot even sleep at night! Jack, if you don't go, this will only get worse!"

By now he is in tears, his voice cracking with each word. I try to hold back my own, but seeing Mark torn up breaks my heart.

"I'm not saying you should go alone," he stammers, "I'll be with you the whole time...just please, please go."

I glance up at Mark. I don't want to go to the doctor. If I go, they will want to know what I see. And if I tell them...But I have to go. I know this. I have to go, not for me, but for Mark.

"Fine," I sigh, admitting defeat. I touch Mark's cheek, making him look up at me, "But please don't leave me."

Mark straightens up and meets my eyes, "Seanie, I could never leave you." He leans in and gently kisses my forehead.