Chapter 24

AN:(^credits to artist)

"Mark, I'm back!" I call out as I toss the keys on the counter. I flick on the kitchen light, slip my shoes off, and yell, "Mark?"

Walking into his room, I squint to look for him. He's not by the bathroom, nor the computer.

"Mark, I know you're not sleeping yet! If you try to scare me you're gonna fucking get it!"

I turn around to go look somewhere else. I flick on the light to the next part of the room, and without warning Dark appears inches in front of me.

"What did he tell you," Dark demands, his arms crossed. Fury flickers in his eyes, turning them deep and black. I am taken aback and I shuffle backwards. He grits his teeth and stalks forward, "Answer me, now."

"Who?"

"Anti! What did he tell you?" Dark looks annoyed and upset. Like a ticking bomb, the air is charged around him.

"N-Nothing," I stammer, "He didn't tell me anything."

"Bullshit," Dark snarls, "Tell me what he said!"

"He didn't say any-" I yell. A door slams and I stop. A voice shouts, "Jack?"

Dark didn't notice anything though, because he takes a step closer, Don't lie to me, Jack."

"Just fuck off!" I scream, the same time Mark walks in. His mouth falls in shock. Next to him Dark sneers, and disappears. I shake my head, "Nononono. M-Mark, not you I-"

Mark's eyes widen and he covers his mouth. He mumbles something I don't hear.

"Mark?" I take a step towards him.

"I knew it," he whispers, "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. He was right!"

"Who," I panic, "Who was right?"

"He was! The doctor!" Mark exclaims almost hysterical, "He said...oh god, he said-what did he say?"

"Mark calm down what did he say?"

"He said 'Jack may try to involuntarily imagine characters that help, opposed to the ones that hurt.' Oh no."

I run a hand through my hair the same time my mind reels. Ones that hurt, ones that help? What does that even mean?

"We need an appointment now," my heart skips and I stare at Mark.

"What? No!" I refuse, "I thought you called them?"

"I didn't schedule anything though!"

He starts to walk down the hallway, "I'm getting the number and calling in now."

I chase him down, "Please, Mark don't! I don't wanna-"

"You don't want to what? What is it Jack? What's happening? Can you at least tell me? What are you seeing?"

"Nothing!" I'm not convincing enough My voice is shaky, and I am trembling in fear.

"I'm calling," he states plainly.

"No!" I grab Mark's arm.

"Sean, let go. I'm doing what's best," he shakes me off and I feel myself collapsing.

"I fucking hate you! You never listen to me! You treat me like shit, I hate you!" I scream at him.

I slam the door to my room, and throw myself on the bed.

"You're just a ticking time bomb, aren't you?"

Pulling my blankets up, I try to block out Dark's intruding voice in my head.

"How do you expect to survive, to live when you push away everyone you live for?"

I bury myself deeper and hold back the overcoming sobs. Dark's voice continues to haunt me. My eyes are puffy from crying so hard. I fall asleep to the sound of Mark's muffled conversation and Dark's invading voice.