Jace Wayland - "We were never meant to fight on our own."

"Jace Wayland!" You placed a hand on his shoulder and forced him to stand still. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I have a demon to kill." Jace turned around and rolled his eyes while he crossed his arms over his chest. "Didn't I ask you to stay at the institute?"

"Yes, but I didn't answer." You raised your eyebrows and your lips curled up into a smile. "The answer is no. I won't stay at the institute." You cocked your head and your eyes met his. "This demon is dangerous and you're not going to face it on your own."

"Don't you understand?" Jace shook his head and he placed both his hands on your shoulders so he could shake you. "How can I focus on killing that demon when I have to focus on protecting you?" He raised his voice and took a deep breath. "I don't want you to get hurt or killed."

"And I don't want you to get hurt or killed either. But I'm not a damsel in distress, Jace." You rolled your eyes and felt your heart racing in your chest. You loved Jace. You loved him more than you had ever loved anyone else in the world, but sometimes you wished he was a little less confident and a little less stubborn.

"Why can't you listen to me for once? Just once!" Jace softened his voice and his arms slid around your waist while he pulled your closer towards him. "I've been fighting demons on my own for as long as I can remember. Not one has been able to beat me. You really shouldn't have come."

You just opened your mouth to answer when you saw something moving from the corner of your eye. "Wait a second, Jace." You paused for a moment and all your muscles tensed. "I think we might have to continue this conversation another time." You curled your fingers around the seraph blade you were carrying. "It's time to get to work."

Jace looked over his shoulder and he let out a deep sigh. "Let's get to work then." He grabbed his seraph blade too and a few seconds later the two of you stood back to back ready to fight whatever would be coming.

As soon as the demon appeared it was as if Jace and you had fought side by side for years already. You knew what he was going to do before he did it and the other way round. Without needing to yell at each other, without needing to exchange a word, you were making him even stronger, while he was making you faster. It was a matter of minutes before you pierced the demon's heart and watched how it fell apart at your feet.

"That was..." Jace stared at you in disbelief before his lips curled up into a smile. He didn't smile that often, but when he did it was as if the sun and all the stars started shining at once. "That was amazing!" Jace wrapped his arms around you and lifted you up to twirl you around. "And here I thought that nothing could beat fighting and winning alone."

"We were never meant to fight on our own, Jace, and..." You pressed your hands to his cheeks. "I think all those hours of synching our bodies might have paid off."

"I do still prefer our practice hours though." Jace winked and you started smiling while your cheeks heated up.

"So do I."