Jace Wayland - "Do you wish things had happened differently?"

He shifted his weight from one leg to the other while his finger trembled, trying to press the doorbell. He carried a huge bouquet of flowers in his arms and in his head he repeated everything he wanted to tell you over and over again.

"Jace?" Your eyes widened when you opened the door. Your hair looked a little messy and you placed your hand in the back of your neck. "What are you doing here?" You cocked your head before you nervously looked over your shoulder. "I wasn't really expecting you to come anymore..."

"Love?" A male voice echoed through the house and you bent your head, avoiding Jace's squeezed eyes. "The bed is empty and cold without you..."

"Who's that?" Jace swallowed. A thousand thoughts were going through his head and he curled the fingers of his hands up to try to fight each and every thought that included some form of violence or climbing the stairs to kick that guy out of that bed. Literally.

"My new boyfriend..." You bit your lip and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, but I've texted you and emailed you and I've tried to call you at least a thousand times and you never answered or never picked up or never showed me that you had not completely forgotten about me."

Jace felt his heart racing in his chest. He had wanted to call you. He had wanted to text you. He had wanted to answer all your emails. He had just been afraid that Valentine would find out that you existed and that Jace had fallen in love with you.

"I really thought I'd never see you again, Jace..." You swallowed. "Actually, I thought you had find someone else too and had simply forgotten about me."

How could he ever forget about you? How could he stop thinking about you? How could he stop dreaming about you? How could you think that he would do something like this? "It doesn't matter." He forced the words to escape his lips, even though he hated them all. "You've moved on and I have to be okay with that." He pressed the bouquet of flowers, that had costed half a fortune, in your hands. "Here, they were for you anyway, you can keep them." He already wanted to turn around when you grabbed his hand and forced him to stand still.

"If I had known that you'd come back, I would have waited for you..." Your voice was a soft whisper, but then you let his hand go again and Jace took a deep breath while his eyes met yours.

"You deserve better." He shook his head. "I have a hectic life. I can't assure you that this won't happen again." He broke his own heart while saying it, but he knew that he had to let you go.

You stared at him for a moment. "Do you wish things had happened differently?"

"Yes, we should have met in a different time, in a different life." Now he did turn around and one more time he looked over his shoulder. "Don't miss my awesomeness too much." He winked. "Just be happy."