Jace Wayland - "I tried my best not to feel anything for you." (2)

You took a deep breath when the door of the coffee shop opened. You didn't need to look at the clock to know what time it was. You also didn't need to look at the door to know who was walking in.

Jace came here every day. Every morning, three minutes past eight, he walked in to order a double espresso. He was never wearing another color than black and he always looked like he had been working all night.

"Good morning, what can I get you?" You curled your lips up into a smile. You already knew the answer, but you asked it anyway.

"A double espresso." Jace leaned on the counter. He never said please. He never said thank you. He never really seemed to even see you and still there was something about him that made your heart skip a beat, that made you count the seconds between the start of your shift and three minutes past eight.

"Of course!" You officially had to ask what name you had to write down on the cup, but after those countless mornings it slowly started to feel like the most stupid question that had ever existed. "Do you want anything with your coffee? We have muffins and American Cookies and some different sandwiches."

"I'm not hungry. I just want the coffee." Jace seemed absentminded when he turned his face towards you for less than a second. Then he turned his face back to the street again and he squeezed his eyes as if he was looking for something. Or someone.

"Would you maybe want my phone number?" You felt your cheeks heating up while the words escaped your lips and you wished for a hole to sink into when Jace looked at you, his eyebrows slightly raised. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that and shouldn't have asked that, but even though you never say much..." You paused for a moment and you were certain that Jace could see the blush on your cheeks by now. "This seems strange, since we don't really know each other, but I tried my best not to feel anything for you. Guess what? I failed." You shrugged your shoulders and licked your lips. "I totally get it when you're now thinking that I'm a complete fool. I actually feel like a complete fool, I think."

The corner of his mouth was trembling slightly and then he curled his lips up into an almost invisible smile. "I need to go. Can you get me that coffee?" He raised his eyebrows slightly, before he winked. "With that phone number?"

You let out a relieved sigh and as quickly as possible you made him the double espresso. With trembling hands you wrote his name and your phone number on it and with a glowing face you gave him the cup. You were probably wearing a stupid smile on your face right now. "Will you use the number?" Your eyes met his and Jace nodded while he turned around to walk away.

"I'm kinda busy. I'll call you as soon as I have time for a date, okay?" He looked over his shoulder once more before he opened the door to leave.

"Okay, take your time and..." You felt how your hands were sweating. "See you tomorrow, at least?"

"See you tomorrow."