Chapter 4 - Recurring nightmare

"Mum I'm home", I yelled dumping my bag onto the kitchen floor. My first day at Talentos High was still running through my head. The doubt the teachers had for me and Luke's promise to make my life miserable in class especially when we get to actually fighting each other. How I was suppose to protect myself from others powers was beyond me but at least it was better than being kicked out, right?

I sighed and headed for the fridge to grab a snack before beginning on my weapons class homework. Yes homework on the very first day of high school ever! I sighed, this is going to be a long first year. I had just grabbed something to eat when mum walked in smiling. " Hey sweetie, how was your first day", she smiled giving me a tight hug.

" You told the school I didn't have any powers yet, didn't you", I asked frowning.

" I did honey but the principal agreed with me that you're just a late bloomer, you will get your powers", she smiled.

" I'm not so sure about that", I grumbled as I took a bite from my apple.

" Why, what makes you say that sweetie", my mum asked confused. I sighed and told her what I had overhead the teachers say. My mum was quiet after I told her and I shifted nervously as I waited. 

" Well mum, what do you make of that, they don't even believe I will get my power", I grumbled stamping my foot in frustration.

" Don't worry honey, it will be fine, I have to go make a phone call,  I'll see you later", smiled my mum and she walked off leaving me shocked and dumbfounded. Well, what kind of mother does that, I thought as I grabbed my bag and stomped towards my room. Clearly mine does, I fumed as I slammed my door shut behind me.

...

The next few days passed by slowly. Nothing changed from the first day besides different classes, more teasing from Luke and my nightmare. It didn't change completely just something different would happen every time I dreamt the nightmare. Sometimes when I met the man, he would throw water or electricity.

The worst one though was when he grabbed me sending shocks through me and putting his dirty hand to my mouth. He would clamp his hand over my mouth and force shadows and pain down my throat. It was the worst experience of my life. I shivered and tried to block the image away. I didn't tell anyone about it because I knew they would ask questions and start to wonder if I was a dream walker.

A dream walker was an unusual power when the dreamer could do anything in their dreams and travel to others dreams. They could touch things, cause nightmares and kill or injure people in their sleep. It was very rare as rare as Elemantals.  I shivered just thinking of Elemantals gave me the creeps. Imagine being one, always worrying if you were the one destined to save or destroy the world.

If I did get my power I hoped I would never be an Elemantal or a dream walker. I would be satisfied with mind reading or controlling nature like my sister. I would hate to be the centre of attention. I had been in it long enough because I was the oldest.

I sighed as I tapped my pen on my desk as I thought of school. My nightmare had taken away my sleep and I was beginning to feel the worst of it. Besides the lack of sleep, Luke had been true to his word and he was trying to make my life hell. He would insult me, embarrass me and threaten that he couldn't wait until we got to fight each other.

We hadn't started fighting yet, we were too inexperienced. We were learning tactics and using them in practice on a sparring partner. The ones who had powers sparred with someone who had the same power or similar. While others who had no powers like me or those who couldn't control their powers sparred with each other. This was lucky I guess as I didn't need to go against Luke but I would catch him glaring at me across the room.