Chapter 15 - Stepping out of the dark, kind of

Dedicated to livelovelearnlife for her awesome comment and being a great fan!

Derrick's POV

Why can't she just stay out of it, I thought as I left school and headed for my brother's car. Mike was waiting for me, leaning against his blue Mustang, his pride and joy. " What took you so long Bro, I have to plan my next lesson, I'm taking over Jen's class next", smiled Mike.

I ignored Mike as I jumped into the passenger side and slammed the door hard. "Bro, be kind to my car, she has feelings", smirked Mike.

" It's a car Mike, not a human", I growled as I glared outside.

"Shh baby, he didn't mean that", cooed Mike patting the wheel before starting the car up. " So what's the matter D, you seem a bit frustrated", said Mike.

" Nothing, just school stuff", I said quietly, watching as trees blurred as we sped up.

" Jennifer, again? ", smiled Mike. I frowned and glanced sideways at my brother.

" What do you know about Jennifer", I asked.

" Don't worry Miss Light told me about your job", smirked Mike.

" Why did she tell you, it has nothing to do with you ", I said. Why would Miss Light tell Mike, it's my responsibility, not Mike's!

" She only told me because I was worried about why you have gotten so attached to Jen, she explained why you were chosen and I understand that", said Mike keeping his eyes on the road.

"Yeah well, it's not as easy as it looks, it's hard keeping secrets from her when they're all about her", I grumbled.

" I believe you, she was asking teachers about the prophecy today", grumbled Mike.

" I figured, I should have just kept my big mouth shut", I said sighing.

" What did you say", Mike asked glancing briefly at me.

" It was in history, we were discussing the prophecy", I grumbled. I explained what I had said giving Jen a hint but I wasn't expecting  she'd  try and discover the whole prophecy.

" You can't keep her in the dark Derrick, it's about the both of you or highly likely it's about you, I wonder who the dream walker is", grumbled Mike.

I remained silent, I hadn't told anyone about my dreams with the dream walker, not even Miss Light. Only Jen and I knew about our connected dream with Him and I wanted to keep it like that for now. If Miss Light or any of the leaders  found out they would definitely put us in lock down or give us dream walkers to protect us from Him. I sighed, I just hope if she does find the prophecy that she won't be too mad at me for keeping her in the dark.

We arrived at our house and I hurried inside and into my room. I waved my hand behind me and a thin energy shield appeared. It was affective way of locking or blocking a door if you didn't want anyone coming through and powers were deflected. It would have to be another energy wielder to remove it or a mind controller to force me to remove it and none of my family had those powers.

It was one of the techniques that Mr Richardson had taught me in my energy specialist class. It looked simple but it took a lot of energy and control to create a strong energy shield that could deflect powers and block physical entry. I sighed tiredly as I slumped down in my chair. My phone buzzed and I pulled it out. Jennifer, it said.

My heart hammered loudly in my chest as I opened the message. I bet she knows, I thought. I stared at the text, half annoyed, half amused. There was only six words but they frightened me more than if she had called me and yelled.