||Chapter 10||

My mouth dropped open.
"You want me to do what?!" I said a little too loudly.

He looked at me with his back straightened on the big, comfortable chair and he sighed.

I still couldn't believe he wanted me to move into his penthouse. He couldn't be serious!

"Miss Sene, if you aren't capable of doing what I say without looking at me in disbelief every time, perhaps you should leave."
He was serious! He was dead serious!

"You really want me to move into your penthouse?" I asked, I just couldn't believe it.

"Yes."

He stood up and walked until he was in front of me. I stood up too.
He was only inches away.
I could smell his cologne and his jawline was so sharp it could cut through paper.
I took a deep breath.
"Are you feeling alright, Miss Sene? You look pale." I met his gaze and this time I didn't break it, I just looked at him.

His stare was so uncomfortable I held my breath and broke the stare.
"I am fine. I just feel a bit shocked."

"Why is that? I thought it would be clear that being a personal assistant means I might need you anytime." He stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world, but a touch of humor.

"The way you say it, it sounds like I'm more of a slave than an assistant."

He smirked. He leaned over and whispered to my ear making my heart beat faster.
"That's possible. But slaves don't get payed, Miss Sene."

He leaned back and we stared at each other until I couldn't take his cold stare anymore and blushed as I turned towards his desk.
I sighed.

"I guess I should go, Mr Queen." I grabbed my handbag and started walking towards the door.
He stopped me by grabbing my arm, turning me to face him again. My body started getting hot as he touched me.

"I don't think we're finished just yet."

⏳.............................................

We discussed some business but I felt quite surprised when he said,
"Now we shall discuss some rules."

"Rules?" I asked rudely.
He looked at me carefully.

"Yes, Miss Sene, rules. You will have 1 day off in the week and one evening from 7pm to 11pm of your choice. You will attend some of my meetings with me. We will drive to work together in the morning. You shall not disturb me if not needed. Let's just say you will do whatever I want, whenever I want and wherever I want. Are we clear, Miss Sene?"

Well that's a bit strict....

I swallowed. "uhm... well... sure."
"Are you planning on leaving the city during the year? Maybe to visit family?" I gasped.
Family....

"No, sir. I don't think so." I said quite sadly.
There was a minute of silence and then he added, "good. I probably wouldn't have approved it anyway."
Asshole.

We discussed some more business until he began to speak over my new room.
"Are there any specific things you'd like to add to your room?" He looked and waited impatiently for my answer.

I never could've had anything in my room back in California. Even now, I feel bad to ask for anything, really.
"No sir, I'll leave that up to you." I sighed.
I felt tired now, I wanted to sleep.
I felt an unsettling emptiness inside me as I got lost in my thoughts.

I looked at my life. I remembered when my stepfather and mum danced to their favorite song in the kitchen on my stepfather's 40th birthday. I remembered how she looked at him and how he held her by the waist, smiling at her. They looked so happy, I just stared at them and I couldn't stop watching.

An amazing warmth began to fill me up. After the song, they stood there, mum still in his arms and they looked at me and smiled. The image was perfectly clear in my head.
That's what love and happiness felt like.

Now, years later... My mum was gone and I had to run away to stop living under my stepfather's abuse. I was nearly homeless, I didn't know anyone and I was going to be a rich man's assistant. It's sad how life can get shit in just a few years time. I felt emptiness and numbness where my heart should've been.

"Miss Sene!" I heard Mr. Queen shout.
"Yes, Mr Queen?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"Why aren't you paying attention?" He was a little irritated.

He stood up and I did too. He walked up to me, I kept my head low.

"If you don't think it's interesting what I'm talking about I really suggest you should leave. I shall not be ignored in my own damn office!" He shouted at me, and I hated to be shouted at.

"Of course, I am sorry, Mr Queen. This won't happen again." My voice was really silent and I wondered if he could hear me.

"It better not!"
Why was he so damn angry?
I felt a tear slide down my cheek.
Why the hell was I crying?
But luckily he didn't noticed the traitor-tear because the curl that escaped my ponytail earlier, was now back at my face.
I dared not to move it.
But he did.

He sighed and after a few seconds he took his hand and brushed the curl away, behind my ear.
He clenched his jaw as he saw my tear and looked straight into my red, watery eyes.
I missed my mother, I missed my life before her death. I felt broken. I felt like nothing was ever going to be okay again. And all the questions, was I ever going to visit my family? No of course not since I don't have any! I am completely and utterly alone in this world.

Damon cupped my cheek and brushed the tear away with his thumb. I shivered as I melted into his hand. He looked at me and I had to try hard not to cry.

"Natalie..." his voice barely a whisper.
"What's wrong?" He asked with real concern in his eyes.
I couldn't. I just couldn't cry in front of him.
I sighed and took his warm, big hand away from me.
"Nothing, sir. May I be dismissed?" I said trying to keep strong.
He knew I was lying but he didn't push it.
He nodded and I grabbed my stuff and rushed out of his doors.

I rushed out of the building, into the pouring rain.
I decided to walk to my apartment.
But I couldn't. I ran into a park with a lot of trees. I leaned on one of them and burst out crying and sobbing.
And there, in the pouring rain, I cried my lungs out. I was just so goddamn sad...