||Chapter 5||

Natalie
I fell asleep almost immediately. A million thoughts still running through my mind as I pushed them aside and drifted off into the darkness...

~Flashback/Dream~

I fell on my bed and cried so hardly I never knew I had so many tears.
She's gone. My mother's gone.

What am I supposed to do without her? How can I go on? She was my courage, my confidence and hope.

I remembered the day they told me she didn't make it as her car drove off the bridge into the water on a late frosty evening.

I could feel my heart breaking into a million pieces.

I nearly fell asleep as the door to my bedroom opened. It was Jake, my stepfather. He was always so nice and kind. My mother married him about 8 months ago, it was heartbreaking that they never got to spent enough time together.

He sat on the edge of the bed, I could tell he was drinking.
After her funeral, he didn't look sad anymore but he seemed harsh and short-tempered.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.
He looked at me like I just really offended him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I looked confused. What does he mean?

"Umm... nothing?" I said carefully.
"Exactly! You sit around all day! You don't cook, you don't clean you don't do anything!What the hell is wrong with you?! You want to rot away in this room?! Fine by me!"  I looked at him with shock as he went out and locked my bedroom door. What the hell?! I stood up and walked to the door. He couldn't have actually locked my door!

But I tried and tried and it seemed like harsh reality. I started to panic and bang on the door but he didn't come back, I was panting heavily and started to cry.
He locked me away for the first time.

As always, I wake up panting and crying, feeling even more tired than before I went to bed.

⏳...................................................

After I got to work I saw that Vicky was talking with some people. I walked by and Vicky stopped me, smiling so much it looked like her cheeks hurt.

"Hey, hey, hey, Natalie, meet Lola, Jackson, Debi and Liam." I gave them a smile and a small hello and they did the same.

Eventually, we started talking and meeting each other, they turned out to be very nice people.

There were a lot of jokes and sarcasm, the conversations were never boring. One girl, which I guess was Lola had amazingly blue eyes and very curly blond hair. She wore a leather jacket and boots to her knees.

The handsome guy with red hair, Jackson, seemed very interested in Lola and couldn't get his eyes off of her. It was really sweet as she blushed when she noticed. There was definitely some flirting going on between these two.

Liam was even more handsome than Jackson, he had warm brown eyes, similar to my hair. He had raven-flipped-back hair and was quite muscular. His smile was very sincere and he seemed like good fun.

He gave me a few winks here and there and I tried not to blush.
The other girl, Debi, was a shy brunette girl. But she was very chill, she just liked to go with the flow.

"Okay. I'm done. I am desperate for a night out." Lola stated.
"I have an idea. Let's all get a night out!" Jackson offered, supporting Lola.

"That's a great idea! I heard they opened a new club not far away and I heard it's fan-tas-tic!" Vicky said as she looked at me. Everyone nodded their heads and said what a great idea it would be.