"ιn тнe eye oғ a нυrrιcane"

"тнere ιѕ qυιтe"

ѕĸy'ѕ pov

I sat down on the sand and look across at the ocean. It's hard to realize that this water can kill someone in a second.

I remember that day, taking a trip, when it hit us. The water was coming for me, I could feel it at my shoes when I ran as fast as any person could. It was chasing me like I was it's prey, but I wasn't letting it get me. I knew I could outrun it, I knew it was going to happen.

And it did.

"Sky you have to run!" My cousin's yelled out. They knew I was the fastest out of all of us. "But if I leave you you'll all die!" I yelled back,"We've had a good life, plus we'll die anyway, anytime now they'll find out, you know what we've done." I cried, I saw the water roaring towards us ready to take me with it. "Go!" My cousin yelled. I turned with tears in my eyes and ran. I ran faster than I had ever in my life, I started slowing down. I wanted to turn around and save my cousins but I didn't. 'Sky just imagine that your running on a trail in a quiet forest' I told myself, I immediately remembered my first track meet when I was in sixth grade. I remeber doing the relay which I tried my hardest on. I was going up against eighth graders, even my team was all eighth graders. I remeber that last 100 meters, I tried so hard. My mind went back into reality and I realized everything was in slow motion. I looked around, 'What's happening?', I realized I earned another power when I felt the familiar feeling on my back. I looked to my left seing two kids, about six and five, I immediately walked over to them. I picked them up, it felt as if I was holding air. I had to save as many people as I could. I started picking more people and and ran to a van placing as many people as I could in the back. I started up the car but realized it was also going in slowmotion. I tried my best to calm down thinking it would slow me down and it worked. Everything went normal and I could hear the water. I immediately started driving as fast as I could to get out of there, I knew I could've said my cousins. If only I had gotten my power sooner they wouldn't have died. I stepped harder on the gas going faster than I expected.

"Sky, is that you?" I hear Peridot say, I turn around to see her walking over. She looked sad and tired,"What are you doing up so late?" I ask as she sits down. "I couldn't sleep," I nod,"Me too, nightmares?" I ask as she nods. "Were you just looking at the ocean?" She asks me,"Nah, I was thinking about what this water can do to a person," she looks surprised by my answer,"Are you... scared of the ocean?" She asks. I had to think about it, if anything me and the ocean had a love-hate relationship. I loved to swim in it but, I hated when the waves got higher and stronger. "No. I like it but I hate it at the same time," I respond. She nods and we both look back at the ocean. "What did your life used to be like?" Peridot asks out of the blue. My old life was a rollercoaster, it was up and then down. I had friends and then I didn't. I fell in love but was cheated on. I had good grades but then bad. I had parents but then I didn't. I had a good relationship with my siblings but then I didn't. "A rollercoaster," I replied simply. "Well Sky you know you could tell me anything right?" I look towards her and nod. "You have pretty eyes," I complemented her,"Wow thanks," she replies with a huge smile.

Love y'all 💕💕

(686 words)