Nice to Know You Take My Hand

Gerard's POV

Frank laid in the hospital bed, he wouldn't make it, that was certain.

I watched as his heart monitor beeped slowly and weakly from the side of his bed. A doctor walked in, "Please, he only had but minutes more, you might just say goodbye."

I looked back down at him, his eyes opened, he saw me and a smile crossed his chapped and faded lips.

"Gee, you're alive." I nodded, "Yeah baby, I'm right here."  "What... what happened?" I just shrugged, "Nothing you should worry about my love." He sighed, "Gerard, you're sad why?"

A couple tears slid down my cheek as he asked that, I don't want to tell him the truth, "Come, get into bed with me." He shifted so I could get under the covers with him.

"You.. you aren't going to make it." I chocked back sob, as the light behind his eyes dimmed.

"When I'm here no longer, you must be stronger." I broke down crying, he sat up and held me close to him, I heard his heart beat slow and I knew this was the end.

He looked me in the eyes, "This is it then, the end. I wanted to spend my whole life with you, I wanted to grow old with you. That can't ever happen." He started to cough, his heart monitor started going berserk, "Take my hand." He begged as he fell back into the pillow. Nurses and doctors rushed in, "He's going."

I held his hand tightly, I don't want this to happen, I want him to stay alive, I want him to live with me till we both grow old and die.

His hand went limp, and in that moment, I knew I would never be the same. Maybe my life hadn't ended, but my will to stay alive and my broken heart had.

I looked at his body again as I got up from the bed, I closed his eyes and whispered my last words to him, "So long and goodnight."

The End