Chapter Two // Bellissmo

The new kid was sitting next to me. He had guts, because every one else seemed to be scared of my existence.

I didn't expect high school to be anything like this.

Two Bit and Steve always complained about it, but I thought that they were over exaggerating to scare me. Now I knew that what they said seemed to be the truth.

"Hello," said the boy next to me. I looked up to him and smiled.

"Hi," I replied. I could see him smile back. "I'm Ponyboy Curtis."

His eyebrows shot up.

"Is that you're real name?" he whispered. I wanted to groan. This always happened.

"Yeah, it is," I replied, bashfully. He was going to hate me.

"I like it. It's originale," he stated. He had an accent, but I couldn't tell where he was from.

"Where are you from?" I asked. He turned a bit pink.

"I'm from Italia. My family just moved here. We're immagrati,  immigrants," he said. I bit the inside of my cheek.

"That's cool. I always wanted to go to Italy," I replied. He smiled.

"Italia is bellissmo. I loved it there," he stated. I noticed that he had dimples. It was also clear to me that he wasn't fluent in English.

"Are you still learning English?" I blurted out. I immediately covered my mouth. I probably made him feel bad.

He turned bright red.

"Yeah, yeah, I am. I took a few classes back in Italia, but I'm not that good yet," he replied. I could see him fiddling with his pencil.

"Hey, I could always help you if you needed," I offered. His eyes went wide. 

"You would do that for a sconosciuto? A stranger?" he asked. I giggled.

"Well, you aren't a stranger, Jonathan Cade. We're friends," I replied. I saw him grin.

The bell rang, and I got up to leave.

-

I was sitting in my language arts class, trying to pay attention to the directions.

"...I want you to write a piece about the most interesting person you ever saw. I think it will give both you and I some insight on your take of beauty," he stated. I forgot his name, but he was young and happy looking. For some reason, I pictured him as being a greaser like me when he was younger.

Hopefully he was one.

Without thinking, I put my pen to my paper, and began to write. I didn't even need to think about it.

I was going to write about Sodapop.

-

When I was done with my writing piece, I decided to read what I had written one more time.

There are many interesting looking people in the world. They range from different colors, sizes, and personalities. However, there was one person who caught my eye.

The most interesting person I have ever seen was somebody whom I hardly know. He is unique in the sense that he is not from Tulsa, or even America. He is completely foreign to the world I have familiarized myself with. He is an Italian immigrant, and I believe that he truly captures the goodness in our world.

For one, he is interesting because of his accent and the way he speaks. He manages to make the English language seem elegant yet difficult at the same time. The language I have spoken my whole life is like a new concept to him. On top of that, it is fascinating to see how he blends words from English and Italian into certain sentences. It is like he cannot let go of his culture, which I admire.

On top of that, his appearance is extremely different to anyone I've ever seen. He has jet black hair that curls and twists in interesting patterns. His eyes are also dark, but they manage to look sympathetic, hopeful, and humble at the same time. I can almost see a fiery passion in them. Also, his cheek bones seem to be extremely proportional to his face. They stick out a bit, giving him extra dimension and character. He reminds me of a hero in a novel that I would enjoy. But, finally, his lips give away his personality. His smile entices anyone who sees it. When he grins, the world grins with him.

Finally, the amount of kindness he has is surreal. Although I barely know him, I can already tell that he would sacrifice things for the people that he loves. I can also tell that he is not the type of person that wants misery in the world, but instead wants happiness and sunshine. His personality is pure, a rare trait in today's world.

In conclusion, an Italian immigrant is the most interesting person in the world to me. He is exotic, looks breath - taking, and has a charming persona. I truly believe that he is like no other human being I have encountered, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-

I was surprised with what I wrote. 

Instead of writing about Soda like I thought i would, I had written about Jonathan Cade. 

I wanted to deny the fact that what I wrote was true, but I knew that I did feel that way towards him. I was unsure why.

It took me a few seconds to think of whether or not I should turn the piece in.

After a few indecisive moments, I decided that I was proud with the piece.

I turned it in.